Back & Neck Community
Doctors refuse to diagnose or continue looking into my problem!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Please help someone!!!  I have had lower back pain for over 13 years now; since I was 15.  Finally after 13 years I convince a doctor to continue a step further than just less of calling me a hypochondriac to my face.  So the doctor ordered the MRI, but when reviewed the results disregarded the fact that my L5-S1 disk is protruding (which I'm finding to be common with or without pain, as well as dehydrated and degenerating.  The radiologist report suggested for a diagnosis of radiculopathy.  Further the doctor proclaimed I shouldn't be "crying" as he has worse problems than myself and said he would not go any further into my problems.  Now I'm without insurance, and this is a doctor at a county clinic so my options to go to another doctor are not possible.  In the last year the pain has been increasing, as well as my fatigue and depression resulting from this all.  I'm at whitts end and really do not know what to do at this point.  Can any one suggest anything for me to do?  

Although the radiology report suggested that there was not any signs of nerve damage I do not know that I believe that as I get sharp pains down my legs at times and ever other step I take is filled with pain in my lower back.  
I also wanted to add that I'm a student without insurance.  I've never had problems before with my grades and concentration with school work, but it's been so bad now that I don't even want to get out of bed most days or even open a book.  I feel as though I'm turning into a vegetable.  I really hope someone can help me out with some advice as I'm only 28 years old, but physically I feel like I'm in my 70's.  
Apparently there is problem and many people experience the pain you are having. This doctor is just a jerk. Everyone is different when to comes to issues with their backs. Some people feel things and others do not until there is an injury or a wrong turn.
I know how hard it is to live with pain. I understand that you do not have insurance so you are kind of screwed. the only thing I can suggest is that if possible you start to put a few dollars away here and there and go to a good doctor. Be selective who to see if you are saving. A spine specialist if possible.
I use a heating pad when I have pain. Others use ice packs. In fact I use my heat a few times a day.
Take your over the counter medicine for pain.
You are not making this up and I am sorry this guy made you feel even worse.
You may want to try and do some simple stretches to warm up when you get up. You could try putting a pillow under your knees when you lie down or try putting a pillow between your legs if you lay on your side. I usually take Tylenol but when I really have to I take ibuprofen. I don't use it that much because it can mess up your stomach.
Most of us have had to deal with bouts of depression with our pain but you have to think positive that one day you will get to the bottom of what is going on and you will find a doctor to take you seriously.
You may want to maybe find a cane to help take some of the pressure off your leg when you walk. I had to do that when mine would act up real bad. I can't stand for more than 10 or 15 minutes without getting really bad pain in my back. I have bulging discs too. They hurt. I have DDD and I have to live with pain everyday too. I understand where you are coming from. I do not have a doctor to treat me either. I got hurt at work a few years back and they have written me off a long time ago and told me to live with it. I am getting ready to start and try to reopen my case because my standing time has become so short.
Good luck and try experimenting with different positions when sitting and always remember to try and think about your posture especially when walking. Try to keep your back in line.
They sell back support braces at the drug store that are not too restricting maybe that would help you when walking.
Take care and keep you chin up. Believe it or not staying in bed too long does not help but sometimes it can make it worse. I know I have been there and I have been told I need to get up and move around even though it hurts.
Chadry