Back & Neck Community
Does neck surgery cause spasms or other issues?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I feel like I have no choice but to seek a doctor that would be willing to surgically fix my neck, if even willing.

My xrays show degeneration, osteophytes, disc space narrowing, and cervical straightening of the normal lordosis, not sure if a MRI would show anything more or not.

If you've had neck surgery, has it helped? I'm worried it could possibly make things worse. My issue is the spasms I keep getting are way too painful to deal with. The extent to what I will do to get rid of that pain, has made it a major problem.
What is it your doing to relieve the spasms that is concerning? I believe neck surgeries have a 50/50 chance of making things better. I had back surgeries with these odds and I'm now disabled because of them. I was in my early 30's when this all happened. I am in worse pain now then I was before. I would make every effort to try and relieve your symptoms any other way BUT surgery. Acupuncture, massage, physical therapy, cortisone injections, yoga are some ways to help treat the pain/spasms. I wish you the best in whatever you choose.
I take flexeril and ultram, which works amazing on my thoracic area. Even the neck pain, went from 2 episodes a week to about 1 a month now. Sometimes I take naproxen as well.

I have been taking Ambien when I am at the point of crying my eyes out and unable to deal with it. This has been going on for years. A normal for me is taking two. Wake up still in pain, two more. Last time this happened to me, that would not work. I was in the position that I needed the ER but with the snow that hit, I couldn't go. I ended up taking 9 of them and I wasn't even sure if I would wake up the next day.

It's gets worse. I used to give myself anti-inflammatory shots for a good year. Toradol injections to control the neck spasms. I used a 1/2" needle instead of the 1" and I also gave the injections too low in my gluteus maximus so now I have some type of damage in both my hips.

The medications that I am taking for my back are causing me to have severe fatigue. I am becoming un-functional.

The Flexeril has been causing me to have tachycardia the past few months.

I went off the back medications for two days because of the fatigue issues and I ended up having that pain, the night I took 2 ambien.

I can't have a life because these medications are sucking every bit of energy out of me that I have.

I can't stop taking them because it's hard to tell what'll happen if that pain comes back.

Back surgery seems like the only solution.

And yes my doctor knows about the issues with Ambien and Toradol. I have never been dishonest with him about how I am coping with my pain.

I have also tried other methods for my pain. Only thing that would work is if I could get treatment year round but I can only get PT treatment for 2 1/2 mths out of the year. Last time I went to PT, it made everything worse. I also tried chriopractic work, terrible experience.