Back & Neck Community
EXTREME NECK POPPING FOLLOWED BY NECK/SHOULDER PAIN:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Woke up one morning in Oct and neck started making popping sounds (hundreds of times a day).  I never crack my neck so it was unusual.  Within a week, sharp pains started in my neck & shoulder (always on the right hand side).  For the last 3 months, I have had these pops (300 times a day) and sharp quick pains (50-100 times/day).  Chiropractic services was no help in Oct/Nov.  Physical therapy excerises during all Dec did not help.  MRI test in Dec shows nothing.  Xray in Nov showed nothing. Neourogist recommends a EMG - which means another month of waiting and pain.  I cannot remember doing anything that would have originally caused it, nor can I can what is going to "set it off" for a painful hour here and there.  It feels like there is a spot of pain at the base of my skull just to the right of my top cervical vertibrea and also a spot under my collarbone on front right side and then my sharp pains that come and go.

Has anyone ever heard of these symptoms and have any ideas???
I have same symptoms as person above, but on  left side of neck my neck starts popping on the lower left side in the back of my neck and then extreme pain that goes up the left side of my neck in back.
will I be getting any feedback on this?
I know it has been awhile since anyone has posted a comment on this, but I am having the same problem and I am just wondering if either of you ever came to any resolution.  I am thinking maybe it is the atlas joint that needs to be adjust, but I am just guessing.  I am also experiencing some dizziness with my symptoms.
we hav the same problem... but i think mines was caused by my ear infection. mayb not. but try touching ur neck. if u feel someething weird... pls reply
Well if anyone reads this ill help you out, you most likely have Osteoarthritis or Degenerative joint disease. If you have an improperly healed injury or one that is not done healing and you were quite active with this, it has caused these symptoms. Im no doctor but i would do the RICE technique and neck stretches and also spine stretches, i hope i could help.
Hi all, I've suffered with the same following a car accident several years ago. My doctor referred me for physio, but as the NHS is busy providing methadone for smackheads, I was only granted half a dozen physio sessions & told to continue with the exercises they had taught me & that I would simply have to learn to deal with it! A year or so later, when I woke one morning unable to literally get my head off the pillow, my right
upper trapezius muscle (where I get most pain) had totally locked! I went to A&E where they told me I was suffering with Torticollis (muscle spasms).
I pay for regular Osteopath sessions to manipulate my neck muscles when I feel they are getting bad (usually once every 6months at least) so that I can at least continue to go to work & manage to do every day tasks like washing the pots & ironing....
Recently I had a trapped nerve in my back, but knew this felt a different pain, slightly lower &to the left of my spine almost under my shoulder blade, although I felt the aftershock feelings up in the usual painful area. After taking myself off to my wonderful Osteopath (who did warn me unlike the muscle relief, this may get worse before it got better) I could not bare it 3days later so went to the emergency doctor at the hospital walk in - I went through my history of neck/back pain/problems and she told me this was definately a nerve but thought I should be recommended to an Osteopath but only my GP could do that......... I thought I was getting somewhere with further relief & support but....
My GP (&NHS Direct) then tell me 'that is not available on the NHS' so I continue to pay £40 a session at my Osteopath, £7.20per perscription for strong pain relief and obviously -£100 for any days off work when I am in extreme agony!!! Meanwhile as a taxpayer I continue to pay for treatment & councelling for people who choose to poison their bodies & feel sorry for themselves!!
Sorry to rant but today is a day where my pain is at peak (even trying to roll my neck to uncrunch the bubbles is sending a pain down my spine like my head is on a spike & that spike is rusty & grinding!) I sometimes wish I had an open wound so people can SEE my pain!! :(
I have the exact same problems and pain as everyone here has mentioned. Why is there not more information out there on this problem? I feel completely alone and I've been to the doctor several times, physical therapy for which I am now in debt, and all the exercising and stretching I can stand. Still my problem not only persists, but worsens. At first it was a popping issue that didn't leave me in much or any pain, but has since become a constant pain and inflammation inside my neck and upper back. All the pain is so localized near and even in my head and it is driving me insane. It was over a year since the last post on this thread. If anyone sees this who wrote before, please report back with how you are doing. I am very eager and to know because I live in a constant fear that one day soon I will be paralyzed or worse. That may be irrational, but perhaps that speaks to how intolerable this problem is becoming. Please help, anyone.