Back & Neck Community
Electric shock pain and numbness...after a discectomy..is it nomal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

hi everyone....My husband had spine surgery 2 weeks ago...he has discectomy from his l5 s1.... I am really worried because after the surgery his woke up with a lot of pain on his left foot...and really numb....I saw doctors a little bit concerned and three days after surgery they sent him to get a MRI done.... I don't know if I can trust a MRI that has been done that soon....aren't the tissues still swollen??? the thing is...that when the results came back one neurosurgeon said that he still had a hernia ...but another one said that it was normal because they used something called surgicel to stop him from bleeding....Now that 2  weeks have passed...my husband feels better...but his foot is still in pain and numb....the Dr....said that his hernia was sooo big that it is normal that the nerve is hurting since they had to pull it...and that nerves don't heal that easily...Anyone had a similar experience....??? he is now on Lyrica ... Thanks a lot for your help!
It can take awhile for the nerves to regenerate.
Hi, I have had three discectomies on L4/L5.  The last one was in May of this year.  I  am back to square one as disc herniated again.   I am sure of this cause the same pain is all back again.  See my neurosurgeon next Tuesday 3rd November, but am not having any more surgery cause I had enough.   I will probably get these pain killing injections now and have to learn to live with the pain.  Wish u all the luck in the world. take care....
hi...thank you for answering...well you experience has been really hard huh!... I hope that everything works well for you..... My wish is to see my husband walking pain free again but i am not so sure when that is going to happen....He is now on lyrica...which is helping him a lot!...it reduces his pain up 80 or even 90%, except for the electrical feeling...My biggest fear is that his disc is herniated again....but after the surgery he has to main differences...the first one is that lyrica is actually working...and before the surgery absolutely nothing did...and the other one is that before the surgery he couldn't sneeze without feeling the worst pain ever...and now he is doing it normally...with any pain...
Of course he is still on pain but there is now longer connecting when his sneezes... I have one question lizzie how long after the surgery did your disc herniated again??? After any of your surgeries how long was your pot op recovery before feeling better???
Thank you for your post :)
Hi I get good about a month after surgery and then around six to seven months the pain starts all over again.  The surgeon says he never come across anyone with herniation in same place three times before.  Well he has now.  And if I am right, it is now out for a fourth time.  The disc does not grow back so there will probably be not much left of it.  I also have permanent numbness in my right foot and ankle and have been told that I will have to live with this.  I see neurosurgeon on Tuesday next week  and will let you know what he says.   take care.....
Thanks for answering so fast.... Let me know what your surgeon says...my husband has not been  a day good after the surgery....and they will send him to physical therapy next week...let see what happens :(
Hi, residual pain after the op is completely normal due to the nerves being damaged from having pressure on them for so long, and I have read that it can take up to a year for the pain to fully go (that doesn't mean it will always be this bad!!)

I am 5 weeks post op....and am coming off the strongest of pain meds (not the best experience!!) and now the numbing effects from the drugs are wearing off I am getting some pain and numbness down my left leg to my toes. Nothing as bad as it was though, but I am 5 weeks down the line. Tell your husband to make sure he takes things steady, and let the pain be his guide. Back pain is completely normal, but stop whatever he is doing if the leg pain is aggravated. Recovery is not fun, and is really boring and painful at times, so try not to worry. But discuss your concerns with your doctor, that is what they are there for! :-)
Hi...thank you for answering.... when I read this kind of posts  it makes me feel a little bit of relief....i have read too, that the nerves can heal up to a year...the pain he is feeling is in his right leg and especially on his foot, (the ball shaped part)... and his butt, lyrica is kind of calming down his pain but not  the electric feeling. Next week we have an appointment and we are going to see what the dr. says.... Are you walking normally...or is it really hard??? My husband can now stand up tp half an hour...and then he needs to rest...but he walks with help of crutches...he can sit for about 30 mins too... I feel he is recovering and what he is missing right now is physical therapy...are you on physical theraphy???has it helped??? Sorry for the questions but until the dr's appointment I am in need of information.... besides I am writing you from HONDURAS...and believe me that health here is not like in US...
Hi I know exactly how u feel I just had 3rd op two weeks ago and I can tell already I'm no better off an I also am not goin to go throu it all again so i guess I better just get on with it.. Have u had the steroid injections?? Anyhelp?? Hope your feelin ok :)
Hi, oh no, you had three on same level?  saw neurosurgeon last Tuesday, well, his collegue,and he said I would not be given another M.R.I. scan unless I consider another operation.  I told him I didn,t want anymore surgery and that I am considering the injections.  I have to wait to see what the neurosurgeon says.  I  still stuck on tablets for the time being, which I have been taking for about 7 years.  I do hope that u get a good recovery this time.  take care....
Yesterday we went to the Dr.'s Appointment....he said that my husband should be running by now...so he examined him closely and checked his leg movement and reflexes. And he said that it was not normal... he send him to get some labs done to discard any infection in the surgery area...and if everything is OK...then he will be having a Steroids treatment for 5 days and then to physical Theraphy....he examined his MRI and said that everything was OK>.. that said ,I felt a little bit of relief...'cause we don't want anymore surgery...so we are just hoping that the nerve will respond to the treatment...

I also hope that there is no infection...because if there is then he has to be in the hospital for 10 days getting the proper antibiotics...

Thanks for your comments