Electrical Pain Behind Right Shoulder Blade
Hi There,

I am 25 years old and had Harrington Rods inserted just over a year ago from the T4 to L4 vertebrae. Subsequent to the surgery, I had the occasional stabbing pain originating between the spine and right shoulder blade. Considering the extent of the surgery, I chalked this up to a small and normal reaction to the spine's new position and it gradually went away only to recur when I moved to quickly, twisted myself, etc.

Recently (w/in the last three days), this pain has become constant and I do not recall doing anything strenuous to cause it. I can only describe the sensation as "electrical"... it feels like I'm being shocked as move my right arm, etc. The sensation now radiates down my back, up my neck, and down my right arm causing me to feel slightly numb in these areas. Have I simply pulled a muscle or is this something I ought to follow up on?

Thank you very much for any advice you might provide!

Regards,

Tessie
I would follow up on it because it sounds like something to do with nerves
I see that your posting was back in April but the pain you describe is exactly what I have been experiencing for the last two weeks.  I am 33 years old and had a Harrington Rod and fusion when I was 16.  I have been absolutely fine since then.  I have carried two children and never experienced any problems before.  In the time since you first posted this, have you figured out what the problem was?    I hope you have feeling better by now!  I have an appointment with the ortho group who originally did my surgery on the 22nd but I don't know if I'll make it until then!  Please share any info you have!

Sincerely,

Jennifer
I'm currently experiencing the same sensations that you described as having.  I had Harrington Rods put in from T2-L2 in Aug 2011, and I've only experienced what I would consider to be "usual" post op aches and pains.  However, lately I've been experiencing some significant sharp shooting, stabbing electrical pains between my right shoulder and spine that literally make me sick to my stomach.  I don't know what to do.  My doctor will not prescribe me any pain prescription and tells me to ice my back and take ibuprofen which I do religiously.  I only had pain medicine for approximately 3 months after surgery.  He says that the x-ray looks great so he can't see anything that would be causing the pain.  In the meantime, I feel as though he's basically telling me it's all in my head.  It's extremely frustrating and affecting my life.