Back & Neck Community
Epidural Injections Neck area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Epidural Injections Neck area

I read a forums for this procedure and I was shock due to my Neurologist referred me to a doctor for the injections and I didn't get any information other than doing my own research.  I was just given an appointment date and was told that I would be able to drive myself and walk out within 5-10 mins once it was finished.  There was no verification of my insurance other than the nurse or who ever answered the phone asking me who I had. So I called my primary doctor office cause I felt like I was lost and I've never seen where there was no education given prior to having any type of procedure done and where talking someone blind when it comes to my spine area.  But it's major to me, they were so unprofessional, due to any procedure there are risk.  How can you just make an appointment and do everything the same day?

I'm so baffled, my primary doctor's office perferred me to the location they use, so now I'm waiting on someone to call me.

I just want clear understanding on what to expect.  I've been hurting for so long over 3yrs I've done everything.  I'm limited to excerising like I use to or even sleeping positions and just even simple things like playing with my kids.  I just want relief, dose this really works.
I'm just lost and readying different questions posted trying to get an under standing of my own situation and some of the stories are just to much.  I was told from my MRI I have several herniation disc, but he states they are minor.  My pain isn't my neck feels like it swelling or I'm straning even when I swallow. My right arm and shoulders are killing me, I normally sleep on my stomach and I can't do that.  

Just wanted to add some more information.
I don't suggest those shots.  They can be dangerous and are just a bandaid.  I have 2 surgeries on my neck.  Try massage from a good massage therapist. You might have to go to several before you find the right one.  If that does help you,  go talk to an experiece neurosurgeon.  One with a good tract record.  If he is well known and proud of his work he will give you patient references. Seek a microsurgeon.  You don't have to have the surgery but, see what he says.  I would have my surgries again in a heart beat. They gave me my life back. I have a total of 3 surgeries - 2 neck one lower back. Be careful with metal plates. Also, if you have excess body weight it really puts a strain on your back including your neck.
I had the epidural injections.  They total three, at two week intervals.  Yes, you will be able to drive yourself home.  You are given a minor sedative to relax with, you are wide awake, so they can talk to you.  And yes, they can be dangerous if the needle is not placed correctly, but an xray is taken during the procedure to check the needle placement.  But will they work???  It is hit or miss depending on the herniation.  The injections for me, made me worse, the pain increased for 2 days after and never really improved.  But I had a large C4-5 herniation pressing on the spinal cord and the nerve.  So it was an option I should not have done, but should have gone to a neuro surgeon first.  It may work for you if the herniation is really small, but you have multiple.  So don't do it until the neuro surgeon reviews your MRI.
  Hope this helps
I had two epidural injections.  I was suppose to have three, but when I saw no relief after two they cancelled the third one.  I don't know of many people that benefit from them.  I was told to have someone to drive me home.  I was totally sedated, I don't remember anything about the procedure.  I also had worse pain for several days afterwards.  I had a two level cervical fusion a year ago and I'm in more pain now than before the surgery.  So please get several opinions before having surgery.  Good lock.
Hi.  Have you seen a Neurosurgeon yet?  If you've been in pain for 3 years, when was your MRI.  I have the same neck feeling, like when your shirt is tight against your throat.  I have trouble swallowing, and many other radiculopathies.  I'm seeing a Neurosurgeon tomorrow.  I have a c-5, c-6 broadbase protusion pressing on the thecal sac(tissue containing spinal fluid surrounding the spinal cord).  I'll post what my neurosurgeon recommends.