Back & Neck Community
Failed Cervical Fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Failed Cervical Fusion

I had a Anterior cervical discectomy with fusion  C5-C7 back sept of 07 due to car accident , the dr but metal plate in my neck with Bone grafting it didn't take all the way so this dec 08 my dr went back in put in to rods  with another bone graft . This time he did posterior approach. He took x ray and said one of the rods is perpindicular .. I didn't undertand what that meant he told me not wory  but for some reason I'm I afraid he might have to go back and start all over which is an 8hr surgery . My question is should I worry and what does he me that perpindicular? I was also wondering how did that happen ? I can only think that when I in hospital they took my collar off for pt but th the pt never came so th colar was off for hour . I still have pain now and than I have to wear the hard collar during the day and soft one at night until april . then I start pt, I alos have DDD and Cervical spondylolysis and arthritis of neck which he removed the first time . I just can't figure out the why the  fusion didn't take the first time , I'm not smoker.