Failed Spinal Fusion
I had an L5-S1 fusion last year after suffering from severe low back pain for 4 years. I was only 18 at the time.

I never really recovered from the surgery & now have just as severe if not worse pain. I've gotten a few opinions now since my original surgeon was not up front with me. The general consensus is that I did not fuse, the original problem is still there & now L4-L5 is problematic.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I know I'm going to need another surgery. I know I'm never going to have a perfect back but I wanted to see if there's still hope after a failed back surgery.

Also, I''m getting a disectomy on Thursday. Does anyone know anything about this test?

Thanks so much for any help !!
I mean a discogram
Hi,sorry to know it
It is a common misconception that back pain always stems from the pressure of a slipped disc or a trapped nerve.  This is misleading, the main cause of pain is inflammation stimulating nerves, causing the pain signal.

So ,4 years ago,maybe you not only suffered from disc problem,but also suffered from soft tissue inflammation as well.and after operation,something still here. .....

You should go to see reputable doctor for second opinion.
Good luck!
My daughter who is ten is going through the same thing you are.  She had her first spinal fusion on L4,L5, and S1 at age seven.  She has been hurting for over two years and now has incontinence, nerve, and muscle problems.  I just found out from another doctor that her first fusion never fused.  The first doctor failed to tell me that she never fused.  Now my daughter needs another operation.  This time the doctor is going to remove her disc, place her bone where the disc was(Donor bone was used the first time.) then turn her over, open her old scar and place more bone plus rods and screws.  He seems to think she have a better chance of fusing.  If she fuses, he said this should take away the pain, incontinence, nerve, and muscle problems.  I have been doing a lot of research on second fusions and the results are excellent.  Hang in there and go for another opinion.  By: sly5 July 9 9:05 p.m.