Back & Neck Community
Fat pocket or fluid around spine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Fat pocket or fluid around spine

I just have a small question. I had a baby 8 months ago and it took them 7 tries to get the epidural in. I have had a little back pain ever since I had the epidurals. It just feels like a bruise. I was more conerned about have scroliosis or a crukid back tha is why I had the MRI. which my doctor said I do not have with the results of my first MRI. I have had 2 MRI's on my lower back. The first one they said I may have a fat pocket or fluid around my spine. So they have done the second one with dye to get a better look to see which one it could be. I have not got the resuts for that one yet. My question is, is a fat pocket harmful and what could possibly happen to me if I do have that and what kind of fluid could it be? The doctor did not seem conserned about the fat pocket but more concerned about the fluid.

Congrats on the baby!  I was also told about 6 years ago about a pocket of fat pressing on my spine. I am a very athletic person and very fit (well, I was until the car crash)...anyway, after having an epidural during childbirth, I had a nagging, deep bruise pain around the injection site for quite some time.  You can expect it to be very sore back there (or at least be aware you had an epidural) for a good year. As for the ball of "back fat", I had my husband rub it out away from my spine. He was able to move it away gently and that alleviated my pain significantly. Be warned though...if someone does not handle you with care, the massage can do more harm than good.  Hope this helps.
I have extensive pain in my lower back.  My doctor ordered an MRI which showed "fluid around my spine".   They did two more MRIs of the cervical and thorasic, but this didn't seem to give them any other info.  This is the first time I've been at this site......did anyone answer your question??  I have the same question.  My doctor is referring me to a neurologist next week.  
Also, I had a spinal tap procedure years ago which turned into a nightmare.  It took the doctors about 5 tries to reach my spine and they said that it (my spine) was deeper than usual.  I wonder about that now after reading your post.
On the front, inside of both ackles, I have what appears to be fat pads and now they are turning a little blue.  What causes this and what can I do about it..
can you die from having fluid on  the spine?