Back & Neck Community
Feel as though I always need to stretch...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hey folks, I gather that this could fit in a few catergories so I am going to ask here and you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Im a 24 year old althletic male and Since the age of about 8 I have always felt the need to stretch my neck.

Its not a pain that I am feeling, more like a sensation that makes me want to stretch it. If I tell myself to not do it, I literally cannot go more than 10 minutes without doing it once.

However if I am busy doing something thats physical or concentrating my mind, I tend not to even think about, or do it.

Very strange I know.

Situations where I am most likely to want to do it, are watching TV, reading the paper, lying in bed, sat driving.

Situations where I am least likely to want to do it, are when Im doing something physically like running, cutting wood, playing football. Also I feel my most comfortable when I am in bed in the morning after a nights sleep.

The area that I want to stetch is now kinda extended to my shoulder, and elbow (all on my left side).

The feeling of when I do it does feel good when I do it. But I think the long term effects of doing it an awful lot is doing me damage.

This has been going on for as long as i can remember now, 16 years and have been to about 4 doctors, 3 osteopaths, countless masseurs and even acupunture with no cure.

Thinking about it, when discussing it with them, I have mentioned the pain more than wanting to know the reason why I am wanting to stretch so often.

Any thoughts or experiences of similar would be greatly appreciated!

James
  • Shoulder Pain (7 replies):
    I have the same sort of pain that mightmouse23 has in a ...[more]
  • disc disease (2 replies):
    what is degenerative disc disease nd what is the treatme...[more]
  • jeff g (1 replies):
    im 40yrs old and i have back pain in the upper and midd...[more]
  • pain (1 replies):
    When I stretch or move a certain way I get a severe cram...[more]
  • Back pain (3 replies):
    I have been having a wierd back pressure in the upper le...[more]
I have that.  I am constantly readjusting my back and stretching it.  I stretch my neck all the time.  I even stretch my arms and legs all the time.  Every time I stand up, I stretch my whole body.  I never noticed that other people don't do that until I read this.  I did notice that I fidget a lot in meetings though.  I have to stretch my back,  change positions, etc.  Part of it is that my feet and legs go numb if I sit one way too long.  But part of the problem is that I just feel the urge to stretch and it drives me crazy until I do it.  

Cinnamon
I am totally like this too. at work i get stiff so quick i have to hide just to stretch, then i feel better for a while. it is so frustrating
Me as well!
I've always been quite athletic, i was in the swim team as a teen, I've taken up many different sports and when I grew up I took up Weight lifting, but nothing too extreme or crazy.

This unbearable need to stretch my back started a little over a year ago (just after turning 31) , and its been driving me crazy ever since, to the point were it seriously interferes with my ability to sit straight and get some work done.
I must admit, over my lifetime I slept in some pretty messed up positions. Add to that the fact that my desk chairs (i'm a software developer) were never exactly ergonomic, so that might be the result of a lifetime of these practices.

But another thing i noticed that started way before the unbearable feeling of needing to stretch my back, was my sleeping habits. I cannot, CANNOT sleep on my side or my back, I always sleep on my stomache (face down), because any other position is just not comfortable at all and I simply can't fall asleep unless I am face down. I noticed that it had to do with my back, sleeping face down with a pillow under my chest bends my back backwards and stretches it and it feels so good and comfy I immediatley fall asleep, as opposed to hours and hours of lying on my back or sides and feeling very uncomfortable.

I know all this is a lot to process, the culprit could be a combination of everything I mentioned above, but so far I've tried everything, I've tried becoming active again, losing weight, going to a chairopractor, taking muscle relaxants ..etc
The only thing that sort-of worked, was getting a massage. It will relax your back temporarily, but then I found that I need to constantly go back, and quite frankly I can't afford getting a massage every 2 days!

Any ideas would be welcomed, sometimes the need to stretch is so overwhelming I cancel all my plans and just spend the whole day & evening in a vicious cycle of stretching and lying down, rendering me completely unproductive and useless! Its reaching the point where its destroying my work and my life because anything i have to do sitting down is incredibly uncomfortable. I can stand up and the need goes away, but i can't spend my life standing up the whole time.