Back & Neck Community
Feels like vertebrates are rubbing together....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

First off I'll give a little background on my back injury and on going issues. I would appreciate any input on my situation. I tend to make my posts a bit lengthy at times so thanks for listening!
While in the Marine Corps serving in Iraq during Operation Phantom Fury in Fallujah is where I initially injured my back. We were clearing houses from the roof down. I was lead man and dropped down to another roof.(all the houses and buildings are pretty much connected). A grenade landed near me. Luckily I had time to grab it and throw it to keep my platoon and I from getting killed or wounded. While this happened I slipped off the edge of the roof and fell 15 feet or so to the ground. I was able to get up and keep moving but I noticed a shooting pain down my right leg. I finished off the last few months of my tour before letting anyone know about the pain I had as it was bearable most of the time. When I returned to the states I had a mri and it showed a herniated disc at the L5-S1 level. I had shooting pain down my leg and also had foot drop that developed about 4 months after the initial incident. I had a lumbar laminectomy (sp) towards the end of 2005. My foot drop went away and I was pain free for about a year. For the last few years I have had returning pain to my butt or hip area. It has not gone further down than that. My most recent mri was this past April. My mri results showed scar tissue hitting my sciatic nerve, spinal stenosis, 2 bulging discs, and was told I had quite a bit of arthritis in my back. I have recently been feeling a new sort of pain. The easiest way to explain it is that it feel like 2 of my vertebrates are rubbing or crushing together. It is painful and also very odd feeling. I was just wondering if anyone has ever felt this feeling and if you have found anything out about it. I have a appointment with the pain clinic where I will be seeing a neurosurgeon so I want to be able to be a little bit ahead of the game by doing my research before hand. When I had my surgery they did not do a fusion. They just cut the disc off that was protruding out. That is what makes me think it may actually be the vertebrates rubbing together. When I put pressure on the area where I had the surgery the pain does elevate a bit. If this does turn out to be the problem I wonder if another surgery to where they fuse the vertebrates together would help. I know they now have artificial discs and also wonder if this could be a option. I know I will find out a lot more once I see the neurosurgeon but I feel some of the best advice comes from someone that has been there. Also, do you recommend anything to help with my back problems? I have had the injections, accupuncture, pt, use heat and cold, a tens unit, exercise and stretching.
Thanks for listening and if you can advise me with any questions to ask at my appointment I would appreciate it. Also, any ideas on the crushing, pressure, or rubbing pain I am feeling?
first of all...my thanks to you especially on this day..
so sorry for the injury you incurred, I think you are doing all the right things to alleviate your pain as much as possible other than narcotics, thats likely what they will do for you at the pain clinic.
I think you are correct in assuming the vertebrae are touching or rubbing....the disk between has again protruded or the surgery removed too much and now there is little there to cushion.....
do alot of reading on fusion before you agree to this surgery...i have read many who regret having it.
I would encourage you to post your question on the PAIN MANAGEMENT community, where there are people who can give more recommendations...many have had this type of surgery and have seen neurosurgeons..
good luck
Thanks for the response. I have been off and on pain meds over the past few years but get so sick of just masking the pain and not getting to the root cause. I will post on the pain management community and see what else I can find out. Thank you for your recommendations!
It was a pleasure to fight for our great country! I wish I still could.
And also accept my thanks for serving our country. There is nothing more honorable than to give of yourself to fight for the freedom of others.

I would also look at surgery as a last resort; try everything else first, which you have been doing. A spinal injection MIGHT help with the pain for a couple months, which would then allow you to exercise to strengthen your abdominals.

Best wishes!!