Back & Neck Community
Fell on back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Fell on back

Thurs morning I slipped on ice landed on my back hit my right arm on bumper . Went to work felt some pain in my middle back all day then radiated to my center shoulder blades with a burning feeling . Friday just achy .now sat woke up hurts to move my head left and right and right should blade  and shoulder hurts when I move my arms hen I move my head back it hurts. What could I have damaged?
Tags: Neck pain
Most back pain after trauma goes away within 6 weeks.  If you can take ibuprofen without problem, or Aleve, you can try to tough it out and see if it goes away on its own.  But if you have shooting electric pain or numbness or you start dropping things or have foot drop or loss of bladder or bowel control, or something like that, then you of course need to see an orthopedic surgeon.  You could make the appointment now, because there may be a 2-3 week wait, and then cancel if you think you are improving and don't need it.  

I worked at an orthopedic office for a while.  I was thrown off a horse once, and I just waited out the pain and I was okay.  I was sure mine was just swelling and muscle bruising.  The pain didn't make me think my spine was injured.  
Another consideration is whether somebody else is going to be considered at fault legally for your injury.  You would want to be seen early if that is the case, and have an attorney involved, but let me tell you it can be hard to find an orthopedic surgeon to see you if he knows he has to wait for a lawyer to release money, and saying, "I will pay for it myself" didn't help at all where I worked, once you said somebody was at fault.  Just so you know.  
Yes, you sure can. You can also have whiplash that cause pain to get worse as time passes. I would say get an xray and or mri.