Back & Neck Community
Finding a job after major back surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Finding a job after major back surgery

Question?   Has anyone had a hard time finding a job in your field after having back surgery?  
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Judy---not sure what your career is...or was for that matter...but the answer for me at least is yes----very hard.  I had posterior laminectomy with quantum instrumentation and PEEK spacers, 3 bone grafts @ L4 L5 & S1 in 2'07.  Still in plenty of pain looking for answers as well as a new career!  Had functionality test done, I can stand for 2hrs, sit for 2hrs, lift 17lbs once a day blah blah blah....  Need to find employment by 3'09.  With all my restrictions finding it difficult to find career path.  Had management job b4 but was on feet 10hrs a day 5days a week--can't do that!!  Also was cust service 15yrs but sat for 8hrs a day--can't do that!!!  Looked for jobs online(ie:processing orders..etc) however their contracts somewhat sticky....but worth researching further--maybe you should look into it also.  Good luck....hope you're having a good day!!! :-)  
Blank
YES!  I am a registered nurse and I currently work for an insurance company and I HATE it!  I have been looking for another job before I had my lumbar fusion L4-S1 in January.  Most places say that they cannot accommidate my 25 lb lifting restriction.  I have actually contemplated going and getting a second degree because Nursing has jobs, but you either need your masters or need a heck of a lot more experience than this 28 year old has for the jobs that don't require lifting.
Blank
562599_tn?1217011725
I worked in the medical field since 1983.  Medical Assistant/basic x-ray tech, processing worker's comp medical bills, etc.
Blank
I haven't had surgery yet and I already can tell how difficult will be to get a job and get some insurance. At this point were I still have a job, but continuously have to call sick because of pain I am really concern. I know soon the company will try to get rid of me.

I wonder what will happen if I loose the job.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Back & Neck Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank