Back & Neck Community
Foot/Leg swelling after back surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Foot/Leg swelling after back surgery

I had lower back surgery 2 weeks ago. I have had the numbness in my right foot & leg before surgery & still now. I am now having swelling in my right foot all the way to the top of my knee it starts in the morning and gets worse as the day goes by. At bedtime my foot/leg is so swollen to the point that I am having trouble walking and the right side feels very heavy, is this normal after surgery?
It takes time for the numbness to get better, because the nerves have to regenerate.The swelling in a little concerning, have you told your surgeon about this? Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go see him. Are you going back for a post-op appointment anytime soon?
Yes, call my surgeon he sent me to the er for a blood clot scan but the attending er doc look at my leg and said i did not have a blood clot.  I ask him to do the test but he refused. So I left & call my doctor he put me on some blood thinner and told me to go home and stay off my leg which I have done but still there is swelling.  I am worried about a blood clot but maybe its somthing else,  Thank You
My Husband had some swelling in his right ankelas a result of an accident at work was told he would have to learn to live with it but after 3 years of complaing about his back hurting and getting no where  he finally got his first surgery on an emergency bases magicly the swelling went away after his first surgery then the swelling came back a little over a month after that both feet were swelling up then he had his second surgery the swelling went away and is now  come back worse then before...  having two surgerys having the same problem after back surgery only now it is swollen up worse then ever before and is now spreading up past his knees and his face is swollen...

This Problem Might Be More wide spread then one thinks... These doctors must know what is wrong... we need help... I'm worried my husband is going to die if some one doesn't grow a heart and fast.

I have the exact same problem. My right foot swelled up four weeks after a discectomy. I have had 4 venous studies, a CT scan and blood work. They cannot find a reason for my swelling. the only thing that seems to help is steroids. Does your swelling go down after taking steroids?