Back & Neck Community
Fused vertebrae in lower back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Fused vertebrae in lower back

My friend has limited ability to move due to fused vertebrae in his lower back.  He also has lack of movement in his arms, not able to move them above his shoulders apparently due to injury to his upper arm muscles, I wonder if there are things that can help him, he is 71 and I have only known him for some months.  I am eager to help him improve his situation obviously.  Can anyone tell me something helpful from their own experience?
Many thanks
Songlines
Hi there!

I would not be in a situation to comment precisely without knowing the relevant clinical details. Though there is little that can be done about movement around the spine with fused vertebrae, lack of/ reduced movements in other regions especially those involving muscles may be amendable to improved treatment modalities that have developed over the past few years. It might be a good idea to get him evaluated by a orthopedician at a university hospital, to get a fair idea about what we are looking at and the expected prognosis.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hi there!

Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for your advice, yes I think that the best way forward it to get a thorough check up and get advice from consultant.
Kind regards