Fusion at home or Mayo Clinic?
TDG
I have degenerative disk problems and scoliosis.
I have traveled to the Mayo Clinic in MN for diagnosis.  It's about 10 hours by car.
I almost certainly will have a fusion later this year.  I am perplexed about whether to have the surgery locally or at Mayo.  I live in a big city and there must be good surgeons but I haven't found that person yet.  Mayo promotes itself as providing interdisciplinary care, something I consider very important.  They also have the reputation as having some of the most qualified doctors.  But, the obvious drawback is being 10 hours from home for probably 9 days, traveling back home a few days aftr the surgery and the travel for follow-up care.
Has anyone faced this kind of situation?  More to the point, have you had spine surgery at Mayo and did you find it to be superior care?
I have had the surgery but not @ theMayo. I had mine locally. Trust me, you will NOT be able to travel 10 hours after fusion. I had never had pain like I did then. Unfortunately, my pain never got better. the decision is yours & your family. You will need them like never before for about 3 months. Good luck!
Soft hugs & Prayers,
Big Orange Fayray
This is why Iam addicted to oxycontin,because I would rather deal with the drugs than go through the pain all my life,I hate it wish there was more i could do,but already tried almost everything.Jack