Gabapentin
Hi has anyone been on gabapentin or heard of it before?  I have had 3 discectomies on L4/L5 disc and now have tissue scarring leaving me with the same as before all my surgeries.   I have been prescribed gabapentin this week for nerve damage in that area of my back.  I am in first week on it and taking 600mg per day.  Thanks anyone for a reply
I have been on Gabapentin for years. It is a generic for Neurontin, which is prescribed as an anti-seizure med, but off label is prescribed for nerve pain. It usually takes higher doses for nerve pain. I was taking 900 mg per day, 3 am, 3 noon, and 3 nightly. Now I take 3 at night and 2 during the day. I am on other pain meds to help with the pain from 2-level cervical disc herniation and multi-level DDD and radiculopathy in my arm, hand, back and leg.
Hello
I also am on gabapentin and have been for years.
I stared out on lyrica and was placed on gabapentin because of
side effects of lyrica.I currently take 800 mgs 4 times a day.
This is because of scare tissue and nerve damage from
a second cervical spine surgery.I was left in chronic pain and
have radiculophy in arm and hand.Gabapentin is just one
of many meds I am forced to take to deal with pain.
I hope this helps you,the doctor will start you out low and
Increase your dosage until you feel some relief and build
on that.
Good luck,
MZ33
I was prescribed Gabapentin for upper abdominal pain that was unexplained by my psychiatrist until my appointment with a GI doctor.  It turned out I have a nerve issue in the abdominal wall, and the "fix" is Gabapentin.  Aside from having a dizzy feeling for a couple of hours after the first dose (300mg) I have tolerated the drug extremely well.  I noticed no other side effects, and was only dizzy for a few hours.  I have no idea why it works, but it does.  I hope you find some relief from your pain.  
I was on gabapentin (1200mg) a day for about 6 months but it didn't work for me. I have chronic back pain but it doesn't seem to be nerve related like they thought at first. It may be myofascial pain syndrome. My sister in law has nerve pain and she takes a combination of drugs such as a small amount of Lyrica , a small amount of an antidepressant, a small amount of lamictal and so forth. Be open to whatever the right combination is for you. I find amitriptilyne helps my back pain even though it is an antidepressant and I'm actually using it for migraine treatment. Also, some drugs have to be at a higher dose to work while others can work in small doses and work together well with others..Gabapentin seems to work well at high doses. You will get used to the tiredness (if you have it) soon. If you need to get off of it it took me a long time because I didn't have antoher drug to substitute to get off of it with so I used Benedryl to sleep because if you go off of it you taper and it gives you insomnia. If it works for you then it is a good drug with low side effects.
mkh9