Back & Neck Community
HERNIATED DISC//ANKLE PAIN/SWELLING

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

HERNIATED DISC//ANKLE PAIN/SWELLING

Has anybody else ever had a herniated disc along with an ankle that is weak, painful, and swollen????  In my case, the ankle issues came BEFORE the herniated disc..... Or at least before any real symptoms of the herniated disc appeared.... I don't have any leg pain, just low back and one ankle issues.... Can anyone please help shed some light on this????
Hi there!

Though weakness around the ankle could be related to disc herniation; with associated swelling it is unlikely to be a cause. With painful and swollen ankle, local issues such as ligamental tear, tendon injury, fractures, inflammations like tendonitis, fasciitis, spurs/ growths etc, may need to be considered. It would be best to get this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try rest and some OTC tylenol/ NSAIDS to relieve the pain.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!

Of course they are related!  The herniated disc pushes on nerves.  Depending on where the herniation is, will predict where you hurt.  Nerves have two ends:  where the herniation is and another end where your pain is.  The problem is the herniation.  If you let it heal, it can repair itself.  But it takes a loooooong time & you have to take care of your back, forever.  Afterwards you must build up your core muscles.....carefully!