Has anyone ever had rods removed after having double level spinal fusion?
I am having alot of pain in my back from a double level spinal fusion surgery that I had back in 2001.  I am wondering if anyone having the same surgery has had the rods removed from their back to improve the pain level and if so, has it improved the pain level?  I had 2 cages, 2 rods and 6 screws put in my L4-L5-S1 levels.  I have heard of 3 people that have removed the rods from their backs and have had great relief after removing the rods.  I want to get more imput about this since I would have to go back under the knife to have it done.  I'm not sure it would be worth it.  Help!
I have had L1/L2/L3 and L5/S1 fusion.... two separate surgeries and now a spinal chord stimulator by medtronic to treat my adhesive arachnoiditis.  I am only 34.  

What I have found out is having the hardware removed won't really improve anything, but actually could increase the amount of scar tissue around your insiscion.  Do you notice an increase in pain before storms? or a dramatic change in weather?  I feel that and have been told it's all the hardware I have.  If your level of pain is not corresponding with weather, it could be another disc.  

I know that could be dreadful news, but the fact is the way the spine works, when you have a fuse, the load that specific disc was normally taking will now be transferred up to the next level.  So now, like in my case, L4/L5 is now taking the load of L/4/L5/S1.  I run a big risk that I will need a future fuse at L/4 and L/3 simply because the load transferring to another "shock absorber" being your disc.  

Don't get pessimistic though.  It could be something as simple as the way you're walking and compensating for the injury.  Next time you see the doc.... BE SPECIFIC when you mention the pain or numbness sensations.  Even if you have something going on that is imbarrassing... at least tell the doc!

Good luck and know there are a lot of us out here.
Mike ***@****
I also have had S1,L5,L3,L2 fused in 2006, I am also in great discomfort.  I have been informed about "arachnoitditis" and I am very concerned about the scare tissue forming after surgery to remove the hardware.  I personally feel like the hardware is giving me discomfort, but I would never want to remove the hardware to then be in more pain and discomfort.  I am only 26 years old.  

Has anyone heard of information about surgeries (technique/ technologies) that have a better success with result of little to no form of arachnoitditis there after?

Has anyone ever head success stories about hardware removal in the lumbar section?