Has anyone had cervical disc replacement surgery?
Hi.  I've been diagnosed with multilevel degenerative disc disease c-4 through c-7.  I'm now 43 years old.  I've been waiting 3 years for disc replacement surgery to be a little more mainstream treatment.  I'm interested in hearing anything about this procedure for the C-spine.  I'm considered a surgery candidtate for c-5/6 and c-6/7 levels.  Thanks, Jolene
I have disc problems in the same locations with numbness in my left hand consistently and sometimes up the arm. I am an avid runner - do several half marathons a year - and this has horribly impacted that. I have had 4 cortisone shots over the past 3 years and they seem to help for a short while. Nothing I do, exercize, yoga, traction, cortisone shots, oral steroids, chiropractic care, etc. have helped for anything other than short term. The pain is always there and sometimes it's unbearable. I'm now going to have the surgery. Btw- I'm 38 and have been dealing with this and it's gotten progressively worse over the past 10 years. Fingers crossed that the surgery wl help.
Laser Spine Inst stay away from! I am talking about the one In Tampa!! They did a "surgery" on my husband which didn't do anything for him. Nuerosugeon looked at his CT scan and said they didn't really do anything. Don't do fusion either. My husband did that 1999 and has caused problems since. Look into artficial disk replacment (ADR) great success rate!
My husband needs same disc's replaced and we are looking into it now. We have been do extensive researched into Germany to get this procedure done. Where did you go and who did your surgery?
Hi, I am scheduled for C5/6 and C6/7 disc replacement similar to yours on Nov 26, 2013. I am extremely nervous but hopeful. I have on again off again left arm pain and numbness and chronic upperback pain. I am as stiff as a board. I dont get much relief and sleeping at nights are becoming an increasing challenge.
I am 33 years old and the rish of permanent nerve damage is my greatest worry. My surgery will be done by a nuerosurgon.  
Your employer has bought and paid for the doctors and they say what they are told by their employer and your ex employer! And they know the right doctors and the money is paid and you have a terrible uphill battle and will only find lawyers that will tell you that thay will get every dime you deserve. And will. This system is so corrupt that the appeals judge just ruled, that two neck fusions one of which was a failure and my arm and shoulder pain got over the roof bad and my posture was stooping forward causing back problems,that thos surgeries caused no impairment and no mobility restrictions. What a crock! The system is corrupt to the core! Bribes are the norm. Do you have much money now you can't work? Right thay have you, the slaves have no rights! In court with Port Townsend Paper corp.
My Husband just got back from Germany. Dr. Bergantoli SUCCESSFULLY did a three level replacment on my hubby, and he feels great! The doctor also had to remove a plate from a 1999 fusion which was the cause for all his recent problems there we sought out ADR surgery. He said he would most def recommend Dr. Bergantoli!! I hope this got to you in time..

My Husband just got back from Germany. Dr. Bergantoli SUCCESSFULLY did a three level replacment on my hubby, and he feels great! The doctor also had to remove a plate from a 1999 fusion which was the cause for all his recent problems there we sought out ADR surgery. He said he would most def recommend Dr. Bergantoli!! I hope this got to you
Gosh, I haven't checked this post in years!  I hope your surgery went well.  I'm facing another surgery in the future, for the adjacent levels.  I have been putting it off because I've been dealing with my parent's health issues, but I hope to have it done in the next year.
I just had a three level surgery (2 artificial disc replacement at the C4-C5 and C5-66 levels and a fusion at C6-C7).  Before the U.S. only approved one level disc replacement which is why a lot of people were going to Europe.  When I first saw my neurosurgeon for my initial consult, I was told I could only get one disc replacement using Prodisc-C and the other two fused. Needless to say, I was not feeling the fusion.  I'm in the military and I was going to fight my case to get sent to Europe to get multiple levels as opposed to nearly my entire neck fused.  This past August the U.S. FDA approved Mobi-C, a two level device, or surgery allowing two levels.  That is the device I ended up getting 18 Dec 13.  In 2 days I was just cleaning and reorganizing items in my house like a mad woman. I think I was afraid that if I laid up in the bed I wouldn't heal quickly.  And my best friend, who was my caretaker, was leaving in a few days and I wanted to be able to do for myself when she left.   I have had to slow it down because this is not what you're supposed to do after a major surgery such as this.  I was just hard headed.  There is soreness and pain from the fusion level still and muscle stiffness, but so far so good.  The only thing I'm still dealing with is not being able to sleep on my back.  Because the trachea is moved over during the surgery, it feels like my throat closes up on me and I wake up gasping a little for air (kind of like sleep apnea).  SO I make sure to sleep on my side until I start physical therapy.  Also, I'm experiencing some acid reflux.  Hopefully, that goes away.  But overall, I'm doing well and even driving a little bit, but not at night.  I don't feel comfortable trying to turn my head for traffic at night just yet.
Hi there,

I apologize for only replying now.  I somehow missed your post.

I trust you had successful surgery and that you are feeling so much better!  I am now almost 3 years post-op from my fusion and life is good!  I do have a lot of limitations when it comes to doing things with my kids (not advisable to jump on an air pillow and foofy-slides or try and peppa kids on shoulders!) but other than that I have had a very successful fusion.

Hope to hear from you again.  Take care,
Hi, I had same surgery and after seven months, the pain was worse in the exact same place it hurt before the surgery.  I have been checked with x-rays several times and surgeon keeps saying everything looks fine!  That makes me so angry because I feel as though he doesn't care or acts like I am complaining for no reason.  I was told before surgery that if I did not have it done and was in a car accident or fell, I could be crippled forever because of the compression on the spinal cord.  I feel so distrustful because after insisting over and over that something is wrong, I told him I wanted a CT.  He ordered an MRI and the results came back not normal.  bulging disk at c6-7 and nerve root impingement in c5-6 again.  Radiologist says he can't tell for sure if it is a recurrent hernation to C5-6 which is why I had the surgery or bone spur.  So when I gave it to the surgeon, he wanted the computer disk as well.  Then he says it is fuzzy and he wants me to have another one with a radiology department acrossed the street from him.  Said it was a better MRI machine.  So I have it done and when I call with disk and MRI completed, the surgeon's office makes me an appointment for almost a month from the day I had it done.  I get so angry that he acted like it was such a big hurry to have the surgery done and now he doesn't care enough to get me in right away to let me know of the results.  I do know one thing, after I do have my appt with him, I will get a second opinion.  I am tired of living in pain and I can honestly say that I feel the man doesn't care.  He's got his money.  Now he wants me to disappear.  The pain has become so debilitating that I am thinking of quiting my job because I suffer daily and it is worse every day.  I have been off for Christmas break for a few weeks and feel a bit better since I don't have to move, bend, lift, push and pull constantly day in and day out, so I realize that if I didn't work, I could have some kind of life.  Right now, my life is get up, go to work, come home, hit the couch, go to bed.  I waken several times through the night in pain.  It's just becoming more than I can bare and I don't know what else to do.  I've done physical therapy for 14 weeks, I've had many epideral injections.  The pain relievers help but I am always just chasing the pain and living to work for insurance just so I can afford to go back to the doctor.  No fun, no enjoyment in life, no quality of life anymore.  Just surviving.  SWEETS000 please let me know how things turn out for you.  Take care
Hi lawdog, I had c5-6 ACDF with plate in March, and after eight months, the pain was worse in the exact same place it hurt before the surgery.  I have been checked with x-rays several times and surgeon keeps saying everything looks fine!  That makes me so angry because I feel as though he doesn't care or acts like I am complaining for no reason.  I was told before surgery that if I did not have it done and was in a car accident or fell, I could be crippled forever because of the compression on the spinal cord.  I feel so distrustful because after insisting over and over that something is wrong, I told him I wanted a CT.  He ordered an MRI and the results came back not normal.  bulging disk at c6-7 and nerve root impingement in c5-6 again.  Radiologist says he can't tell for sure if it is a recurrent hernation to C5-6 which is why I had the surgery or bone spur.  So when I gave it to the surgeon, he wanted the computer disk as well.  Then he says it is fuzzy and he wants me to have another one with a radiology department acrossed the street from him.  Said it was a better MRI machine.  So I have it done and when I call with disk and MRI completed, the surgeon's office makes me an appointment for almost a month from the day I had it done.  I get so angry that he acted like it was such a big hurry to have the surgery done and now he doesn't care enough to get me in right away to let me know of the results.  I do know one thing, after I do have my appt with him, I will get a second opinion.  I am tired of living in pain and I can honestly say that I feel the man doesn't care.  He's got his money.  Now he wants me to disappear.  The pain has become so debilitating that I am thinking of quiting my job because I suffer daily and it is worse every day.  I have been off for Christmas break for a few weeks and feel a bit better since I don't have to move, bend, lift, push and pull constantly day in and day out, so I realize that if I didn't work, I could have some kind of life.  Right now, my life is get up, go to work, come home, hit the couch, go to bed.  I waken several times through the night in pain.  It's just becoming more than I can bare and I don't know what else to do.  I've done physical therapy for 14 weeks, I've had many epideral injections.  The pain relievers help but I am always just chasing the pain and living to work for insurance just so I can afford to go back to the doctor.  No fun, no enjoyment in life, no quality of life anymore.  Just surviving.  I know your pain, lawdog and sounds like you have the same problem.  I had pain before the surgery, but it is now must worse then before.  I wish I had lived with the pain then.  At least it was not as bad as it is now.  :(  Hope you find relief or an answer to this.  Please let me know if you do.  And I will let you know how the second MRI turns out when I get to go see the surgeon again.  
I had a 4 disc cervical fusion 4 months ago, and seem to be getting worse,   I feel good when I first get up in just a few minutes,  my left hand goes numb, and I have difficulty walking I just go stiff in my lower body,  The Dr. told me it could take up to a year to heal,  seems to me more like a spinal stenosis...
can anyone recommend an experienced surgeon in CA or AZ for cervical disk replacement?
Hi dear,
you did not mentioned where you did the surgery and how much did that cost you and how are feeling now. my C6/7 is herniated and I am planing but have no insurance and don't know how much it cost.
Hi dear,
Hi there,

I apologize for only getting back to you now.

I had my surgery done in South Africa.  I had a complication during surgery and was in ICU for a few days and then normal ward until I got discharged.  The surgeon accidently cut my Carotid artery while extracting his instruments.  Any surgery unfortunately has its risks and you have to take that into consideration.

You need to book an Orthopaedic Surgeon and a Neuro Surgeon and Anaesthetist.  Theatre time and Hospital ward.  I can unfortunately not help you with Surgeons in the USA, but please do research and get the best Neuro Surgeon.

All the best and let me know how you are doing.
I have had  5 seperate cervical surgeries, for the same reasons you have described.  It started in 2006 through 2012. I am 57 years old and post-menopausal. Which I have been told makes recovery much more difficult. I am also considered "small boned" which can cause additional healing problems. I did go to a wonderful neurosurgeon.  I have recovered the use of my hands and some strength in my arms. The pain has never gone away and I have been a pain management patient for 6 years.

It is the dependency on pain meds that is now an additional issue. I am not trying to frighten yoe, just be very careful, get a 3rd opinion, because it cannot be undone. Good luck and I will follow your progress!
which doctor did you use in BC ?  I am from ontario but willing to travel for disc replacement surgery Only found one doctor in ontario that does artificial replacements and he is booked for more than a year.  Anyone know any other surgeons in ontario or canada?
Hi, my surgeon here in alberta want to fusion my L5/S1 in my low back, but I want to find out about disk replacement. I can't find anyone here in alberta, who was your doctor and where did you have your surgery?
Did you go to Texas? How are you doing now?
How are you doing? Who is your Dr at Texas Back?
Wow. Congrats! Do you know which disc you've got?
If I were you I would find a doc that will do the artificial disc. I wanted to get that on my C6/C7 but I moved to go with a renowned surgeon and he fused my disc.
Needless to say he said it was the worst he has ever seen and I still have neck problems. been 1.5 yrs since the surgery and I did the surgery to get off pain meds, that and it was excruciating.
Now I am having to come to the realization that my neck will be like this forever.

I can't help thinking the artificial disc would've been better because it did wonders for my Lumbar when i had it installed in 2010.

Good luck with whatever decision and if you have to travel for the arthroplasty, do it! Cheers
Have you had ACD Arthroplasty done in Canada? If so, I'd really appreciate hearing about your experience and if a positive one, the name and contact info for your surgeon please  I am looking at triple disc surgery. Thanks!
Good Morning Nattyrn7190,
I recently had disc replacement with mobi-c at c3 c4 and c5 c6. I was doing fantastic until I overdid it during week 3. Now I am starting to have some of the symptoms back. I have called and spoke with the office nurse and have tried to cut down all activity and rest with some improvement.

Obviously it has been several years since you posted this comment and I wanted to know what eventually happened in your specific case. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I am also a nurse but now work at a desk job which surprisingly I think was a contributing factor in my situation.
v/r
Karla P.
I just had a multi-level ADR (Mobi-C) at the C5-C7 here in Colorado by Dr. Kenneth Pettine and a fusion at the L5-S1 on October 20th.  So far so good and minimal pain (usually if I sit to long).  I can't believe how great I feel especially after living in pain for 16 years.  If anyone is considering ADR surgery and live near Colorado, I highly suggest Dr. Kenneth Pettine.  
How did your surgery go? I'm having activ c replacement c4/5 and c5/6 done next month. Also will need c6/7 done in the future.   Hoping the end result will help my right hand as only 50% pressure function and also stop agonising pain in shoulder, elbow and chest. Which is controlled with lyrica - pregabalina 25mg 3x daily. Wonder drug for me. Couldn't cope before.
The surgery went very well and I am now almost 3 months post op.  Good luck!
You can try acupuncture treatment. It will help you to relieve soon. Read about acupuncture at https://plus.google.com/100923324972089266153/about?hl=en.
Had a C5/C6 replacement in October, 2013.  Best thing ever.  Pro-Disc C.  Done at USC in California.  Out of the hospital within 20 hours of surgery and back to work 2 days after.  Easy peasy
Hi, can you tell me where you had Adr ?
how are you now after your disc replacement and would you do it again if you could go back in time ...I am having c7 disc problems now and am not sure what to do ?
Hi vrob!!! :)
I just saw your message/reply to me. Please forgive me, I know its' been awhile since posted message, though I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your reply and your very kind well wishes. Thank you very much!!!
It's very inspiring to me to know that you were able to get your life back. I'm still in same position I was when previously wrote that post; insurance coverage and costs of the policies that the surgeons actually accept, are very costly. I still haven't given up, thank God!!! And keep doing all I can to keep pushing through until I can get the safest procedure(s).
Thanks again!!!
God Bless you and yours!!!
CKB777
could you please share with me where you had your cervical implants and which hospital and Dr. I was unaware that this procedure was being done anywhere in Canada.....I am in Quebec....and not getting any help with my condition of DDD and herniated discs in c-spine on 3 levels. Was interested in going to the US, but have no insurance and would cost about $30,000. So any way any help or suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I would be willing to travel to BC if necessary.
Caution EVERYONE who is contemplating ACDF surgery to exhaust EVERY other avenue before you have the surgery!! MY "trip" down that road began in October 2006. After 6 years of horrible neck pain..med's, physical therapy, injections, working out daily, yoga etc..I finally gave up and had my 1st surgery on C5-6. The surgery lessened the left shoulder pain but didn't do a whole lot to make my neck feel better. I absolutely believe that once you have your cervical spine operated on..the rest of it starts to degenerate because the healthy disk's are not having to do more work. June of 2010 C6-7 was removed and fused and June 2014 C4-5 was removed and fused!! I am now waiting for disability to be approved....suffer MORE AND WORSE pain in my neck than I ever have....according to MRI done 3 week's ago have possible fracture in the vertebrae where the 3rd (last) surgery was done..nerve damage done to my leg's because of 3rd surgery..etc. Now I'm absolutely regretting that I EVER let my neck be cut into! Do a ton of research and as I said completely exhaust ALL other options first!! Don't want anyone to have to endure the pain that I have.
That's good advice -- surgery should always be a treatment of last resort unless it is required to save the stability of the spine.
Yes my friend the good old whiplash did me in too..it was one year after the whiplash I started to get signs something was wrong...x-ray showed 4 bulging disk, a pinch nerve, and artheritis...I never had pain in my life like this, I called them attacks which lasted for minutes, and minor attacks during the day...my head feels like my neck cant support it, headakes, numbness in arms, tingling, all in upper shoulder...now I get elbow pain, hip pain, and knee pain all on my right side, oh the famous musle weakness too....mri concluded narrowing of the spinal canal (nerves) emg says I got carpol tunnel in right hand but its related to the dam nerve in the neck...now its time for cortozone injections, say 5-6 disk are where this **** is happening, I know whats coming...is it worth having the surgery???  did you feel like shortness of breath?? maybe that's the affect of my muscles..
Can you tell me how you made out? what you describe is my life now.
I myself have had three l-3. L-4. Discectomys and a C-3 C-4. ACD&F .  After all that I still have herniated discs above and below the fusion site in my neck and excessive scar tissue from disvectomys!!!!  I am in pain management and take 150 mg of Morphine a day for pain and 100 mg of Topomax for neuropathy. I had 18 steroid-epidural injections, used a TENS unit and tried countless other things before I "gave in" to surgery.  Do I regret it??  NO !!!!!!  Degenerative disc disease and stenosis have made my 45 yr old spine the equilivant of that of a 80 yr old according to my Neurologist.  Just do your research and pray and all else will fall into place !!!  God Bless!!
Heather
This may be too late to follow up, but did you have surgery? How did it go?
I had cervical discs surgery 10 days ago. Had c4,c5,c6,.3 spacers,metal plate with screws. I had needed the surgery for 3 years,but was very Leary of it I had L-4,5,and 6 done in 2000 was a nine hour surgery that have chronic pain from,and received my disability. I have been doing well since the surgery,must have soft foods available the first week,break your meds, I have to wear the soft collar unless I am just sitting. I woke this morning dizzy,off balance. Going to contact my surgeon when they open.
hi Chyrol, my name is Oksana  and i also live in BC, can you pls tell me where exactly did you have your disk replacement. I have problems in neck and lover back. thank you ahead.
If you click on the poster's name, you can access their profile. From it you can see that Chyrol posted once in 2012 and hasn't posted since. He or she is probably long gone.

If you have questions, better to post to a new thread and title your post --  Has anyone had (cervical? lumbar? -- state which) disc replacement surgery in Canada?

Then ask your questions.

More people will read your post, and you have a greater chance of getting answers.

Best wishes.
Just had C5/6 with a hybrid at C6/7 September 2015 and its the best thing I ever did in my life!  My surgeon was Dr Hyun Bae from the Spine Institute in Santa Monica California. He is absolutely one of the leading surgeons in this procedure in the United States. It's very Important to go to someone that has a lot of experIence. Anyone needing or looking for this procedure please go to Google And look At Dr Bae's resume! He is an absolute miracle worker! I'm a 65 year old healthy male. I had severe pain in my shoulder and arm and numbness in my thumb and forefinger. I was extremely apprehensive about this procedure and now I realize it's the best thing I could have done. There was absolutely no pain after the procedure and no pain medications were necessary. I cannot speak highly enough of this doctor!
Just had Cervical Pro Disc C replacement of C5-C6. The next day after surgery I have been pain free on my right arm. Just a little pain in back of neck. No more Tingling, stabbing, or Pins and Needles Pain on Right arm. I am very happy with procedure. Just don't know if I will set off metal detectors?
Does anybody know. I saw Xray it looks cool.
Link, what was your pain level down your arm going into surgery (1-10)?  I've have degenarative disc disease in the same (c5-c6). I don't really have pain down my arm to my thumb - just numbness and tingling (radiculopathy). I guess my "pain" level is at 3-4 when I extend my arm (reaching down) for over 10 seconds. When I wake up in the morning, my left arm near the shoulder is very stiff.  I just can't be very active except riding an exercise bike. It's hard because I have 3 little children and one on the way. It's been like this for 8 mos. Trying to determine if I should wait it out or do the ADR-c surgery. I go for acupuncture and massage therapy and do some Tai Chi, healthier eating, and light exercise. 4 cortisone shots have been done. All four orthopedics i visited say surgery, but I say, "well, I don't have severe pain, or strength loss in my arm." They say, "well, you're not living a normal life though."  Btw, I think you would set off metal detectors since the adr has metalic materials in it.
I too had a lump my son massaged it and infected watery smey junk has been coming outy nose and ears since july.  Ent says I hace alergies.  Both arms from sholder to elbow are growing bine VISIBLY at a rapid rate.  I have new teath and cant ware my dentures and bone growing inside my nose.local hospital and sansum clinic and my surgeon all say there is nothing wrong.  The work comp qme says I am p and s and my attorney for work comp says there is nothing he can do.  The imr says it is not medically necessary to have an mri.  The feeling in both arms is noe effected.  My hands comtort and freeze up.  I cannot lift them now above my head.  Calif.  Law saws pnly one year to sue for med. Malpractice or failure to diagnose.  No one will say it is bone growth or take the tests to shoe it is.  I have been servailled and stocked and vandalized since I had surgery andasked about my sholder bone post tje surgery of one week.  Soc.  Sec.  Had kept me buisy with paperwork the local city has also in two legal arrests only to dismiss charges.  Soc security and soc service have created paperwork sabatague aling with the housing athority of santa barbara county.  Ive been slandard list friends and my files and vehicle and house vandized when I leave them.  My mail is tampered with. My medical ins was taken away and no ine knows why.  My bank account has been yampered I have been baired to no avail in attemp to make me do an illigal activity I have been accused of fraud.  The child support div. Will not give me the last 10 years of child support they received.  Soc. Sec. Is taking my intire check due to an over payment I tried to stop consistently for months to the point of closing a bank account only to have them find it and deposit more money into the new account on the date of my housing recertification constituting the increase of anual income by 13,000. When only 4,000 I couldnt stop was received.  Then they began deducting money that wasnt due me from the bill .  Then billing me and my now adult daughter over $35,000..  I have been kept busy eith all of this since my neck surgery just to keep me busy I believe now I cannot move my arms and feel like I'm going to lose one of them.  All to keep my surgions, attorneys, work comp hospitals and primary care in good standing.  Oh and this nnphones data is uploaded to CYBERVERSE under the Foia.   Go ahead and put that bullet in my head now!   My next blog is gonna name names!!  This product may kill me and everyone knew about it but me. I only knew I had it in me in july of last year 2015.  But it makes pretty good sense now as the sergion, D A,   Attorney And sabotaging social security lady along with the work comp investigator and local athorities seem to be intent on financially, emotionally and physically harming me.  They have me living on $ 101.00 a month.standing.  HOW DO YOU LIKE MY BIG ******* MOUTH NOW YOU ********!!!!! Jari muther ******* Blake 805 588 8237.  
who was your doctor at stanford, i am 49 and getting ready to go in tuesday to meet with a dr. at stanford to get a two level disk replacement on my c5&c6, c6&c7? Thank you for your response.
Hi just seen this feed, I'm 34 and have just had C6-C7 disc replacement surgery on the 21st of April in the UK. The surgery was due to a bulging disc after a car accident and i must say the outcome is amazing, i woke up and instantly had no left shoulder or arm pain at all which has been there for the last 6 years and i was also surprised by the movement i have instantly too. i would recommend this to anyone whom may require it. I ache a bit now and swallowing is tender but all that will heal in due time. I cant recommend this enough.