Has anyone had cervical disc replacement surgery?
Hi.  I've been diagnosed with multilevel degenerative disc disease c-4 through c-7.  I'm now 43 years old.  I've been waiting 3 years for disc replacement surgery to be a little more mainstream treatment.  I'm interested in hearing anything about this procedure for the C-spine.  I'm considered a surgery candidtate for c-5/6 and c-6/7 levels.  Thanks, Jolene
The doctor goes in your neck like having an epidural and uses a fluroscope to cauterize the nerve endings using radio frequency.  I am not sure how many doctors do this, but for me it has been a lifesaver.  Check out the pain management doctors in your area to see if any of them do this.  If so, it might be worth your time to meet with them and discuss the possibilites of this helping you.
The Prestige is the only one at this point that is FDA approved and just recently.   It can also only be used on one level as it is too bulky.  I am having this surgery done on 2/21 so can't tell you what it's like after.... yet.  But I have multiple problems C4/5 C5/6 C6/7 - mostly suffer from chronic headaches and neck pain for the last 8 years.  Waited for this as fusing all three discs would have left me unable to move my neck and I am only 43 and didn't want to go there.  If you have other questions, I would be happy to help if I can.  
I am having disc repacement surgery c5/c6, shitting myself 38 years old, really do not want to go through with it but can not stand the pain.
anybody had this treatment done?
don't worry,Make sure you know the facts synthic cervical discs are out
there pro disc c find a doctor that does them. if you get fusion doctors using tebeckar steel for bone graph has a high fusion rate.

if you got the money go to germany. In the US the fda will not use studies/results form the other
countries even though most of the synthic discs are made here in US(Medtronics) for onelevel.Single level fusion pro disk c has been approve call the company and see who doing it nearest you I wish
it woud have been available to me. I have had c5/c6 fuse and as above statements this has gone south after a year and now c4 disc isnow going. What we have going for us is an inefficent FDA
where there is help out there but we cannot get it.

hop u do well
I'm messed up from C2-C7.  Some levels worse than others.  Plus the wonderful osteophytes.  I'm having a discogram next week to see if my screwy discs are what's causing my grief.  If it's discs, my surgeon will be using the ProDisc-C...which was FDA approved last year.  Even though they are now approved, the trouble lies with insurance coverage.  Not too many carriers are covering it yet.  
a lot of insurance co's will do it upon recieving a letter from your surgeon that this is the best procedure for u ck with your surgeon
anyone experiencing leg sensations from the neck herniations?
I have disc degen. at C3-4,a congenital fused C4-5, degen. disc and left sided herniation at C5-6 and bulging disc at C6-7.  Neurosurgeon is recommending ant. discectomy and fusion at C3-4 and C5-6. I'm looking at the Spinal Kinetics M6 ADR as an alternative (this is a German product).  Any experience out there with this disc replacement?
Badneck: Just would like to correct you that the M6 by spinal Kinectics is a Sunnyvale, California based company and not a German one.  The installation is in Germany at this time, but I beleive that M6 is being installed in teh U.S. now on a clinical trials.  This M6 is so new so I don't know how its going to hol dup, but sometimes people have no other options.  I wish yuou best of luck.
How come the Lamino-Forominatomy didn't work? Did it hurt alot after surgery? Plaese tell me something about the lamino foraminatomy since I am thinking of doing this first before ADR.  Thanks
I'm also supposed to have disc replacement c5-c6-also scared-but I did the physical therapy-the chiropractors-spinal epidurals-all the meds-very sick of morphine-loosing lots of weight from pain-so there is no other choice.My surgeon is having me get cat scans and X-rays tomorrow-already have MRI-if he says -no surgery-which I doubt I know I can't live with this pain.--Good-Luck to you all-we are all in the same way -we will be O.K.
under the right conditions and ACDF is the gold standard of care.  For the most part they are a slamdunk for the surgeon.  What it comes down to is personal preference, donor bone, hip graft, or now ADR.  Their is a greater benefit from a CERVICAL ADR, than a Lumbar ADR, the revision procedure.  It is more complicated to revise a lumbar ADR, and as for right now, there is not a great implant out there.  As for a cervical ADR if anything goes wrong there is always the "gold standard" as a bail out, an ACDF.  However, there is only one implant that has proved not only equality, but in some cases superority to a fusion if the Medtronic Prestige.  However, getting your insurance provider to pay for it is another story.  If it were uo to me.  ADR is the way to go, and I would fight my insurance company to pay for it, or pay out of pocket
The Framinotomy did relieve the symptoms I was having. The pain and weakness I was having in my neck and right arm were no longer constant and maybe would flare up after a really hard workout. To be perfectly honest about what I do, I am in the military right now, and my training definitely consists of boots runs, kevlar/FLAK runs, humps with on average 80 pounds of weight, and then even Endurance runs of over an hour with about 30-40 pounds of weight. So all of that was actually doing ok for me. I was able to actually re-start my training and get back to it. After about a  month into a 6 month training cycle I was doing really well, however one PT session involving a "fire-mans carry" with another person my size with gear across my neck/shoulders re injured myself.

I think I read on this site that there is still a 10-15% chance of re injury in normal every day life with these procedures, I think that factor goes up considerably with my profession, depending on what we do. With that said, I know plenty of guys, with fusions and even ADR that are doing bang up jobs right now.

I just got mine done on 2/5 and I will say this the initial recovery form surgery was a lot better than the framinotomy, but I haven't seen any improvement. So that is a big fat dagger........... in the neck. I would say go for the Framinotomy first, the initial recovery will suck more, but you won't have a peice of steel in your neck, no matter how miraculous people say the prestige or whatever that thing is. If you want to know about my rehab type stuff, I was doing all of that stuff I mentioned above, plus "Cross-Fit" type workouts. I did not however do any of the  actual "Fire-man" carries during rehab that did injure me. SO I would say stay away from major back squats in the gym once you get back to that. Good luck, I know I will need some.  
My husband is currently trying to decide between a fusion and a ADR surgery.  Right now he has a ruptured disc at the L4-5 and has been diagnosed with DDD for 7 years.  He has tried PT, medications, and 3 steriod injections in 2 months.  The doctor finally recommended surgery but we are having trouble getting the ADR approved - now with reading different stories we are scared about either surgery.  He is only 29 years old and is worried about the shelf life the of ADR or the complications of the fusion.  Any helpful ideas on how to choose?
37 yr old I had spinal kinetic M6 done at C5-C6 in Germanay,2/22/08. doctors here unable to offer any treatment b/c of multilevel disease and they thought I need 3 level ADR no one recommended ACDF
I did had 3 level DDD C3-C7 by Discogram but  doctors at stenum who did the surgery recommended one level ,they did  intraoperative testing  other levels looked fine so  only replaced my herniated DISC C5-C6  now 4 wk out still going through neck and shoulder pain , shooting pain at the hand level better, even emptying the dishwasher aggrevate the pain for me. like to know who had the Cervical ADR 's how long it take them not to feel any pain at all.  

Just as an overview,
1.  Artificial Disc Replacement is new and as such doesn't have a lot of known long-term outcomes. Some longterm studies exist, but the styles of hardware keep changing so it's hard to judge. Most in the US seem to do very well. The upside is: the neck has to move a lot and if you fuse it (especially at multiple levels) is less favorable for young people because it causes adjacent levels to degenerate (wear) faster, so you avoid those early arthritis problems (at least in theory) with disc replacement. There are stricter criteria for who can have a disc replacement. It should be done by spine surgeons experienced in disc replacements.
2. ACDF (fusion) is the gold standard and has very good outcomes for the vast majority of middle age and older folks, but if you're highly active or young, it is less favorable because it can lead to early breakdown of adjacent parts of the spine.
3. ALWAYS insist on having physical therapy after surgery, whether fusion or disc replacement. Some doctors are fishy about this, and it seems silly. There may be a period you need to wait after surgery for therapy, but disc/spinal degeneration ALWAYS has a postural component, and if you fixate the neck or replace the disc without retraining posture and movement, you will certainly develop early degeneration of the spine and increase risk of wearing out replacement discs. This will lead to poor long-term satisfaction and new problems which may not easily be fixed with surgery...you may not even be a candidate for repeat surgery. Always request physical therapy following spinal surgery.
I am having cervical disc replacement in two weeks.C5/6-6/7.I am really scared.I have had four surgery's in the past but the whole cutting my neck and altering the spine is scaring me.I have been through it all physical therapy,chiropractors,spinal epidurals,went off morphine after three months was making me crazy.I 'm in so much pain mostly because of my job.I am a woman who has always worked heavy (so called mens )jobs for 22 years.Now I know that was a big mistake.Plus I suppose I smoked in the past (11 years ago)and my Mom is 83 crippled in a wheel chair.(spinal stenosis)she had a bad back surgery in Arizona.This all adds to why I have degenerative discs and bone spurs.Please anyone who had this for severe neck pain,headaches,numbness in hands but mostly severe pain after lifting or over doing things at work -please write back-thanks-----
anyone heard of BLACKSTONE Discs?  My doc said I qualify for the trial in May.  From what I hear, insurance is a ***** about replacements. c5-c6.  Scared but in pain!
My doctor wants me to have the Prestige Disc Replacement Fusion.
I am 53 and pretty active.  He has only done 3 before.  You said
you had yours done in Nov, 2007, how are you doing.  Would you
do it again.  My is the cervical 6-7 disc.  I am going to try more physical
therapy first
Had the surgery two months ago two discs replaced C5/6-6/7-still sore and achy,but not the kind of pain I had before the surgery.Most of the numbness in my hands has gone away.its still hard to sleep.I go to physical therapy 3x a week.I'm still out of work.I was real scared to have the surgery.If you have tried everything,like I did its the only answer.my doctor said I won't be 100%.But it takes a long time for the discs to fuse together.Good Luck to you all!!!