Back & Neck Community
Headaches after Anterior Cervical Fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Dear Dr.

On Aug 3, 2009 I had an anterior cervical fusion, with spinal stenosis, removal of bone spurs of C 4,5,6. He also adjusted my cervical column as it was shifted to the left as well as had a bow in it at c5&6.  I was home in 3 days.  I am physically fit, thus, no collar or PT prescribed for me. However, my doctor discussed changes in my exercise routines.  Not a problem.  I have been off of the vicodin since August 20th as i am allergic to codeine.  

I still have muscle & nerve spasms in my shoulders, upper back, and arms.  This pain I manage with NSAIDS & ice packs.  However, for about five days now, i have had this spot headache on my left side of my head.  Last time I talked with my surgeon about the headaches he said it was due to withdrawal of the vicodin.  at that time i was taking the vicodin regularly.  

What is causing these headaches as I cannot sleep properly nor may i move about as it makes me dizzy & ill to my stomach?
Thank you Edie