Back & Neck Community
Help - ASAP woke up with neck sever pain AGAIN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Well, here again, I woke up this AM with my neck in severe pain. My back of neck is swollen a bit (again) and my left upper back and arm hurts all the way down to my fingers (back side of arm) and I should not be driving although I had to drive to work cause my ROM is horrible. Last time this happaned in march. I could not get out of bed without help from my husband and I cried I wasi n so much pain there and at chrio's office.  I went to my chiro and after about 3-4 weeks he fixed me up but never ordered an MRI to see what had happened. NOW, it's not an amergency, so I don't feel like I should go to ER - should i go to my family physician or go to urgent care? Or should I do nothing? If you look at my past posts, youc an see my history - SIGNIFICANT for neck problems - herniations/bulges throughout C3-C6. Last MRI was in October of I think 2007. What should I do? It hurts to sit here at mydesk.

Ugggh, I don't even know what I did. I'm 38 years old. THanks.

Here's my MRI from 10/07.

Here's October 2007 MRI: - MRI Cervical Spine without Contrast.
The vertebrae are normally aligned. Stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained. Spinal cord is of normal morphology with exception of ventral impression on the cord in the left paramedian location at C6-7 secondary to moderate protrusion of the nucleus pulposus.

There is mild/moderate broad-based bulging in the disk/endplate complex at C5-6, but this finding does not cause impression on the spinal cord, there is no spinal or foraminal stenosis at this level.

Impression: Significant protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at C6-7, finding is positioned in the left paramedian location and causes mild ventral impression on the spinal cord. It is also possible that this finding may impinge the traversing left C8 root. Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the cervical spine.
__________________

I have a neck injury at C-6,7. It buldges. I go to a pain specialist. He found mine through an MRI. It did not show up in a x-ray. The pain is terrible. He did some type of hand pressure to help put it back in place that helped a lot, but the discs are messed up, making it still get out of position. I got a pillow of memory foam and a log shaped pillow filled with buckwheat seeds or something like that. It fits into the arch of your neck when you lay down so it helps keep your neck straight. Sometimes it is too hard to lay on so I use the pillow. I have about 7 ice pks. The smaller ones with a gel works better for me because it is softer. I do have to wrap a towel on it, because direct ice is not good. I use a heating pad sometimes instead of ice.

Turning my head, and being in a fixed position for any period makes it tighten and I can hardly turn my head. I have bad headaches that comes from the injury. It makes a crackling noise when I move my head in certain ways. I had radio-frequency denervevation, twice. It didn't help that much. It is a way of deadening the nerves that are affected to help stop the pain. It is either live with it and take pain meds and muscle relaxers or surgery. I am  not going through surgery. From what I know about fusion, it limits mobility. Pressing on the nerves I know is very painful. My injury came from being put to sleep for an operation. When they intubated me they forced my neck back too far, along with pushing a hole down to my collar bone. I have barium still in the hole. That happened in 1996. I nearly died. I would go to a spine specialist to see what could be done. Hope you get help that brings you controlable relief.