*Help* 8 months post fusion,no sign of bone growth,whats next?
I was injured in a rollover car accident. I ruptured two discs in my low back causing nerve problems. My neurosurgeon decided that a double level spinal fusion was necessary. L4-5 and L5-S1 Was fused August 25th,2009. I had my most recent CT scan 7 and 1/2 months post surgery and was told there was absolutely no difference in that scan,then the one taken on the day of surgery. Had an xray a week ago,no bone....
My neurosurgeon has been very tight lipped about it and the only thing he says is that "It is a bit abnormal for bone to not grow this far after surgery,dont worry about it,we will talk about this and your options in August". Basically he just wants to give it a year. I really like my neurosurgeon,but my mind is going crazy on what is going to have to be done to fix this? He just keeps saying "we will discuss this is August". Anyone else have bone not grow? What happened? Is there a chance that it could still grow,or am I looking at another surgery? I am 24 years old,and a mother of a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I just want my life back! These are supposed to be the best years of my life,but my pain level is way too high. Nothing seems to work for the pain. Honestly,I'm scared....
Bekah I'm so sorry hun, have u thought about getting a 2nd or 3rd opinion? I know there are things that can be done to help bone growth. I'm 8 weeks post op from an l5/s1 fusion and have no bone growth yet. Will get it checked again in 5 weeks. I personally wouldn't settle for "talk to u in aug bout your options". Keep me posted *hugs*
I'm sorry you are going through this also. Definately not something I would wish on anybody. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There are not many neurosurgeons to choose from.  Currently I have to travel three and a half hours to see my neurosurgeon that did my surgery. I did try to get a second opinion with another neurosurgeon,but he just sent me right back to my current neurosurgeon. Of course I had no idea that they knew each other. All I was told is that It is not likely that bone will form since it has not started yet. Its too late for a stimulator,and he would write a letter of concern to my current Neurosurgeon about the absence of bone growth. That was it! Thats why I'm hoping that someone might be able to answer my question on here? Good luck,and I hope your bone starts to grow soon!
And please keep me posted also :-)