Back & Neck Community
Help! Neck stiffness... and temporal pain when yawning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

So about a week and a half ago... i remember yawning in the car on my way home from work... and i got a sharp pain on the sides of my head... above the top of my ears and back just a tad... i didnt worry about and just went on...

well now ive been suffering from a "stiff neck" i would say.. i went to the doctor today and he doesnt seem to think i have TMJ... he put his fingers on the sides of my head and had me open and close... and i felt no pain.. and he heard no popping or anything... but im still thinking I might be having a symptom of TMJ...?

he said as for the neck stiffness/soreness, it might be from my new job... i sit in front of a computer most of the day and i drive around in my car alot during the day...

since i also suffer from anxiety... my doctor thinks this could be part of the reason...

i know my neck stiffness and soreness will probably go away at some point...

but when i yawn.. as i close my mouth.. im still getting a sharp shooting pain in the side of my head.. only on the left hand side now... not both sides...

my question is....

Do you think OVERTIME this pain could go away? the shooting pain from yawning... and my neck stiffness?

Thanks SO MUCH!!!
Just another possibility --- have you had a recent dental exam?  You might be having some problems that are more related to your teeth and gums that mimic a TMJ condition.
If dental problems are ruled out, just getting a cervical spine x-ray would be beneficial to make certain there are no degenerative changes that are producing some of your pain.
Stress and anxiety can exacerbate your symptoms, but if you are currently taking anti-anxiety medication and your work station is ergonomically correct, you should have had some relief of your symptoms by now.
Let us know what treatment is being recommended and we will try and assist you further.