Back & Neck Community
Help reading my MRI lumbar spine report.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I need to see if someone can tell me about my report, Do you think this is from my car accident?

TECHNIQUE: Standard multiplanar, multisequence open MR acquisition of the lumbar spine without contrast.

HISTORY: Chronic pain syndrome. Low back pain radiates to the left leg.

FINDINGS: Normal lordosis. Conus medullaris terminates at the approximate T12-L1 level. T12-L1, L1-L2, L2-L3, and L3-L4 demonstrate maintenance of disc height and disc hydration with normal posterior disc margins, patent neural foramina, and patent central canal.

L4-L5: Minimal loss in disc hydration and maintenance of disc height and with minor posterior margin disc bulge and right and left posterolateral disc osteophyte and mild facet hypertrophy, minimally narrowing the inferior aspects of the neural foramina. Patent central canal.

L5-S1: Loss of disc hydration, possibly minimal loss in disc height, and 3 to 4 mm generalized posterior margin disc bulge indenting the ventral thecal sac. Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy. Patent central canal and neural foramina.

No edema noted in the paravertebral musculature.

On the axial images there appears to be a dilated loop of bowel in the left abdomen, images 1 through 10, anterior to the ascending colon. This loop measures approximately 4 cm and similar in size to the ascending colon, but containing fluid and possibly with mild wall thickening. It may relate to a redundant portion of the sigmoid or transverse colon but indeterminate. Adjacent small bowel and colon are not distended.

IMPRESSION: Lower lumbar degenerative disc disease and facet arthropathy without high-grade canal or foraminal narrowing.

Possible dilated thick walled loop of bowel in left abdomen. Clinical correlation suggested and may need CT abdomen and pelvis.

Thank you for your help
Aleans
From S1-L5 you have bulging disc and your disc are degenerating. Everything else is normal in your back. I am not sure what the bowel means except for there seems to be obstruction. Your car accident could have been the cause or it could have just made the problem worse. Best wishes, Sissie