Back & Neck Community
Help with Cervical MRI results
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Help with Cervical MRI results

My MRI results:
C 3/4- Right unconvertebral and facet hypertrophy. Moderate right foraminal stenosis. Mild disc bulge.
C 4/5- Mild disc bulge. This flattens the ventral sac.
C 5/6- Mild disc bulge.
C 6/7- Left uncovertebral hypertrophy. Mild left foraminal stenosis.
MRI of brain w/o contrast showed severe sinusitis- everything else was fine.  

I was having problems with dizziness, balance, ringing "whine" in left ear.
I was doing vestibular rehab exercises 2 times a day for 3 weeks trying to help BPV my ENT diagnosed. And I was doing the Epley maneuver at home as well.
Didn't help at all, but I think (in my non-doctor opinion) I have caused a problem with nerves in my neck from repetitive neck movements.  3 weeks after beginning these exercises I experienced tingling and numbness on left side of face, ear, pressure left side of neck, tingling and numbness left arm and hand, tingling in left thigh.
These symptoms persist after 9 weeks although there is slow improvement occurring. I don't feel like I'm suffocating from tight neck muscles anymore and I have periods where the numbness is minimal or gone. It does always come back-  especially after I have been sitting down- riding or driving car, working on computer, etc. Upright, walking around- I'm better.
Doctor doesn't think my neck MRI results are part of my numbness tingling face and neck problem at all- just part of aging. I'm 52. Up until now I was very active and fit- running 15 miles a week, doing Pilates, riding bike, etc.  Now- I'm too troubled by my symptoms to  do too much moving at all.  
Any help would be so appreciated!
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
The MRI scan changes are suggestive of age related changes. However you also have mild disc bulges. The narrowing of holes through which the spinal nerves pass and the disc bulges is causing pressure on your spinal cord and spinal nerves. Since C3 nerve root is involved, you can have some symptoms along the side of face.  Also, involvement of any cervical root can cause neck and head symptoms.
However, most of it can be managed conservatively. The treatment is a combination of pain killers, muscle relaxants, physiotherapy, manual therapy, and exercise. Also sometimes a heating pad or a hot water bottle helps ease the tired muscles. Wearing a cervical collar helps. Use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure will work. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs help. Also, you must improve your posture while sitting and working.
Hope these tips will help you. Please consult a neurologist too. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Back & Neck Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...