Back & Neck Community
Hernaited T12/L1 disc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hernaited T12/L1 disc

I was wondering if anyone here has similiar symptoms as I. I have been diagonised with a herniated T12/L1 disc. Three years now. I have severe pain in mid region of my back, muscle wastage on each side of the lower part of my bottom, left leg goes numb at times, pins and needles, I don't sleep at night as the pain in the midregion wakes me. I am on medication but the doctor wants me to go on stronger medication and I do not want to take pills all my life.
The point is I am sick of the pain, I am sick of not having a life and I wonder if anyone has had this area operated on.
I am seeing a neurologist on wed, the fifth specialist to see if he can help me. The others had varying opinions, put up with the pain until you can't stand it anymore, wear a brace, pain management, walk a lot.
Yes, I have been doing all this and now my situation has worsened. Before christmas my left leg went almsot completly numb and I hobbled around, my bowels ceased to work for three days suddenely.
I know this area is dangerous to operate on, but surely techniques in this modern day world can operate successfully.
Thank you, any advice, hints, information is very much appreciated.

Virginia
Avatar n tn
I an A.Palanivelu from Canada, i have the same problem 7 years and dieing everyday with worst pain also morethen half an hour i can't walk or stand and sit. i had visit more then 10 specelist in Toronto all wast my time every one recoment to take pain killer
now all day sleep possison is comportable for me, i can't do my house keeping also. if you have money you go to Chennai in India there will do
have you tried an e-stim unit (electrical stimulation)? If you are not aware of them, what they really do is trick your brain into concentrating on a different feeling. It can also work your sensory nerves so much they become exhausted and relax a little bit. I have a reversed C-spine and have the same difficulty sleeping, migraines, constant pain that has now moved down my entire back due to muscle wasting and Fibromyalgia. If you haven't tried it, or it hasn't been mentioned, ask your doctor. It can really help a great deal--it helps me much more than pain medication or muscle relaxers and there is not the groggy feeling!
My name is Sandi, Sweety I hate to say, but welcome to my world. I've been in pain from 1988 and I'm still in pain. I've had 4 back surgerys and I'm still in pain.I finally changed Doctors and now I have some kind of blockage . This Dr. wants to try something. He wants me to have an Epidural injection. Well I guess I'll try it. All I have to say is don't give up. Once you give up, then it will get bad. Have your Dr. give you a good anti-depression pill and you will feel a little better
I've had a T12-L1 herniated disc surgery and it worked very well.  I have no idea why your doctor would not recommend surgery if you are in that much pain.  Eventually even the walking will irritate it because it is weight compressing on your disc with each step.  Find a new doctor.
If you don't mind can you please let me know who your dr was
I have severe Degenerative Disc Disease and have had 6 back fusion surgeries. I am fused C4-C7, L2-S1, and both SI joints are also fused. All were successful. I just had four MRIs last night for my cervical spine and thoracic/lumbar region, both with and without contrast because I am now exhibiting more symptoms in these areas. Eventually my entire spine will have to be fused. I am in Michigan and see neurosurgeon Teck Mun Soo, MD. I will never see another doctor. He performs intricate spinal surgeries at several hospitals in SE Michigan and on occasion throughout the country and sometimes even outside of the U.S.. He is The Man. He is the only doctor I have complete faith in. Some people are put off by his personality, thinking he is arrogant and too blunt. Do not take his confidence for conceit. He is the best, an expert in his field, and he realizes it. Those are simple facts. He IS the best. He has a very dry sense of humor and speaks the truth. He sugar coats nothing. I love his personality and enjoy bantering with him. I can honestly say I love the guy. If you are not completely confident in him, he will refuse to operate on you because he believes a positive attitude is important in the recovery process. See him if at all possible.