Back & Neck Community
Herniated cervical disc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Herniated cervical disc

My MRI results:

At C5-C6, a small nerve root sleeve cyst is seen in the right neural foramen. At C6-C7, a broad-based disc protrusion is eccentric to the left. This herniated disc causes moderate- to-severe left and mild- to-moderate right neural foraminal stenosis. The disc also causes mild central spinal canal stenosis at C6-C7. At C7-T1, small nerve root sleeve cysts are seen in bilateral neural foramina.

My symptoms five months later: decreased but apparently permanent sensitivity of left thumb and index, very occasional mild neck discomfort.

My question: physical therapy focused on my arm, where I had the tingling and pain that prompted the MRI. Since then I’ve been told by a neurosurgeon NOT to get surgery and NOT to stop swimming or biking, but I don’t know how long the lost sensitivity should last before I worry. I have also moved to another country so I don’t know whether to try phys ther, acupuncture, craneosacral… I’m a mess!

Thanks for helping.
I have some herniated discs in my neck and I was told by one doctor that the excerise that I was to try and avoid was swimming.I know when I go in my pool and swim a little I get pain in my neck. I also get severe pain in my left arm. I have problems with my left also. Do you know if the did the Hoffman reflex on your fingers and if so how did you do on that.
Chadry