Back & Neck Community
Herniated disc cause hip pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Herniated disc cause hip pain?

Hi there, I am a 40 yr. old female, I had sciatica starting 2-3 years ago, went for the x-rays, MRI, etc. it was determined I had 2 herniated discs, DDD, arthritic spine and spinal stenosis. Since then I've been on conservative treatments, physical theraphy, pain meds/muscle relaxers on an as needed basis. About a month ago, I started having what I perceived to be abdominal pain just on the right side, I originally thought it was "female" related, only to go to the OBGYN and found out differently. After a while I decided it was my hip that was hurting, and now it is BOTH hips, the pain is EXCRUCIATING, it is difficult to sit, stand, walk, you name it. Could this all stem from my back issues? If so, is there a way to fix this? I originally was against back surgery, but if my choices are to live with this pain, or have surgery to fix it, I'm leaning towards the surgery. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
I am my 50's now and have been having your problems for past 3 yrs. I have been told i need Steroid Injections to stop the pain.  The Surgeon told me they dont do surgery until they try the shots.  I also had stomach pain, it turned out to be gastris and stomach ulcer from medications.  

I now suffer with buttock stabbing pain and rectal pain, when I do anything like walk, sit, lie on my back , it is all coming from my disc problems.  
I would try addressing/fixing your posture before thinking about surgery. If your problem is muscular in nature (tight hip flexors for instance is the cause of an awful lot of hip pain) surgery will only make it worse. If you spend alot of time sitting,  if you are sedentary, and if you do not stretch, it is more than likely your hip flexor muscles are tight, and your pelivis is tilted forward. This can cause alot of pain. Get a book on posture by D'Arezzo and go to a website by Jolie Bookspan. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE HERNIATIONS/MRI FINDINGS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THESE FINDINGS ARE CAUSING YOU PAIN !!!!!   Herniations/DDD are COMMON, and do not usually case pain.
I have perfect posture at work and it hasn't done anything to alleviate my pain.  I read a study that drs now say at computer you should be tilted backwards.  I never wanted surgery after suffering DDD and mild herniation.  Now I wish a dr would do surgery as my quality of life as far as mobility is short. I don't do anything but go to work come home and lay down as I can't stand or sit any length of time,  I think because dr's waited so long my nerves are pinched but you can't see it on a discogram but my knees down are numb, tingly and feet are bright red and burning.  My very first epidural felt like a miracle and lasted 4 months but ones after that did nothing, Facet joint injections worked 2 days.  I am now getting ready for some radiofrequency something to kill the nerves.  If this doesn't work I will have to quit my beloved job of 25 yrs at 53.  Good luck
you may think your posture is perfect, but have you ever really had it checked by a qualified therapist??? 90% of our population has a forward tilted pelvis which wreaks havoc on the hips and back.. it comes from sitting.
I have to say YES, YES, YES.   Started out with massive hip pain without ability to walk and it is disc issues...  So don't let anyone tell you it's hip (even though I'm sure you're swearing it's exactly at the hip joint!)  Get hip/pelvic/sacrum/femur XRAYs and then move on to back.  I spent 4 months having people work on my hip (almost bankrupt!) with no change only to find out it's my back.
I had exactly the same symptoms for 3 months - right hip pain, tightness in my right leg muscles, joints, etc.  No serious pain, but the muscles felt clenched all the time.  I tried a chiropractor for 3 months and when he couldn't fix the problem, he recommended an MRI.  The MRI showed a bad herniated disc between L4 and L5 vertebrae that was impinging on the nerve root going to my right leg.  A week later I sat in a chair without good support for a few hours and something changed and it got super painful.  Spent 5 days on vicodin in bed with the worst pain you could imagine and then had a microdiscectomy.  The pain was gone instantly after the surgery and it's been 5 weeks since and the nerves down my right leg still are pins and needles at times, especially in the evening, but every day it's a little better.  I've been told the nerves can take months to fully heal and sometimes don't heal (a part of your leg goes numb permanently), but anything is better than the sciatica I had.  X-Rays won't show a herniated disc, so are worthless.  I had one and it didn't show a thing.  The MRI shows it very clearly.
OMG, I am in so much pain I can't stand or walk more than 10 minutes. Now I'm having pain even when I sleep and sit. I've know that I have had a herniated disk now for a few years and I always had popping in my right hip but all of this intense pain has come on surprisingly in the last 3-4 weeks.  I am afraid that surgery will make it worse. Has that happened to anyone ? ?

I am in my 50's and I have had sciatica for 1.5 years.  I have two small disc herniations, have had tons of doctors, tests, physical therapy, chiropractor.  My 3rd MRI shows the herniation at L4-L5 improving.  I still have sciatica.  One thing that will give me relief is to stretch my hips.  My hip muscles in my left leg are bunched up because of my disc (that is what I have been told). and I have not been able to sit hardly at all.  My herniations are not large and the 2 neurosurgeons I have been to do not want to do surgery on me.  All I can do is take some meds, not alot, and stretch, stretch, stretch.  I have had 4 types of steroid meds and they do not work on me.  If your hips are tight, your back and groin pain will be worse.   Surgery works for some and not others.  It may not work forever.  You can easily re-herniate your disc if you do not take care of your spine. Please try stretching the hips for pain relief.
I am 38 and have had 6 rounds of steroid injects which worked for a very short time.  I just had the endoscopic lumbar rhizotomy on 1/27/12 and it helped with some of the lower back pain but the pain in my hips is still there.  numbness and tingling from the knees down is still there.
Going back to the dr on 2/6/12 to see what other options are.
good luck!!!
S1  L2 _3 4 5 and bad joints  narrowing of the spine and stenosis not overweight comp doc says surgery wont work 52 years old,  had nerves burned helped some still recuping need to work  14months now
I had the same problem and got a microdiscectomy in 2003 and a spinal fusion in 2005. Now the pain is back. Mine is on the left side and it includes my lower back, leg, hip groin and foot.  I just got another set of xrays and have heard about a new minumally invasive surgery that is called si bone fusion. If you look up the sacrum joint disorders you will be amazed at how much the symptoms match yours and mine. I too can't sleep for long periods, sit, stand or  walk.  My thoughts and prayers are with you because I know how miserable and debilitating these issues are. My dr took me out of work because of the excruiating pain i am in and that is also frustrating as we need both incomes but not alot I can do but hope they get the tests results back soon and I will definately have the new surgury as this is no quality of life.  God bless you!
Hi. Suffer from herniated L3 L4 L5. Also have psoriatic arthritis which affects my spine, joints, and fibromyalgia :(. Work full time, so so difficult. Can't sit or stand for long. Pain shoots into my hips, knees, and feet swell, turn red and hurt! No quality of life, exhausted from daily pain at work.
Well, yesterday had a nerve block, 3 discs, to determine if I am a candidate for radiofrequency denervation, in which they would burn these nerves. Well I am! Thank God! I was pain free for 8 hours! Have not felt pain free in years. Go to pain management...I finally did. Have had several epidural injections with little relief. Good luck everyone. Chronic pain just plain ***** :(
I've been suffering from this for 3-4 months. tightness in glutes hips and pelvis. the tightness would move around. sometimes it would relax and then sometimes get super tight. would be hard to move and then other muscles would get inflammed because of the tight muscles. I thought it was a muscular issue but i got a MRI which showed 3 disc herniations. this has been driving me crazy. depressed because i feel like im never going to be normal again. its always on my mind and i cant do the things i used to do. and people just think im lazy because i cant work like i used to. dont know what to do.. no insurance.. surgery costs too much,,