Horrid back pain in drum line. Someone please help.
I was recently switched to quads on my high school drum line. (the four drums that rest in front) They are really heavy; anywhere from 25-35 lbs. The back pain from all of the recently added weight is killing me. It's gotten easier with each day at band camp but tuesday we marched through Cedar Point, and I honestly don't know how I did it without passing out. It wasn't too bad until halfway down the park and I started to not be able to breathe and kept having to stop playing to mentally and physically relax my back. Next week there is a prade and my band is the feature marching band. My fellow senior quad player will no tbe there and be on vacation. I'm really worried about marching the parade by myself. Is there anything I can do to help my back pain?
Maybe ask you teacher. He or she may have dealt with this before and know of a way to adjust the drums so that they are not putting as much pressure. Or get a back brace and start doing back strengthening exercises everyday. It is either the drums are adjusted wrong for you or your back needs strengthened so that it can handle the extra weight.  Hope all goes well during the parade. Break a leg.

Sissie