Back & Neck Community
How do you treat a broken thoracic vertebra?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I slipped on an icy stairwell, tumbled down mostly on my back, & broke my T-2 thoracic vertebra (so quick and violent was the fall, it ripped my thick clothes covering my back down to my flesh).  I was taken to hospital by ambulance, x-rays, CAT scan, then released due to medical insurance.  It is very painful.  I want to know what I can do to help my back to heal properly.  The ER doctor stated that the T-2 vertebra looked like a very dented tin can (my break).  I did work in Europe last year but quit my job to come back to the USA to care for my mother (she is dying of small-cell lung cancer -- caught in stage 4 -- and is riddled with brain tumors).  I've been unable to find work once back in the USA, even blue-collar or minimum-wage jobs (they tell me I'm over-qualified).  Because this vertebra is now a preexisting condition,  I can't qualify for any medical insurance coverage for at least one year from the time I could financially take out coverage or be covered by an employer.  I receive no income coming in and do not qualify in my state for any medical insurance since I live alone.  I've went through my savings and now am really getting desperate financially just when this happened.  

I'm looking for (1) best way to treat this vertebra break so it can heal properly, (2) any exercises you would suggest to help with strengthening or healing the break.  I am a 50-year-old fair-skinned female, BMI = 29, currently taking 1500 mg of calcium supplements along with drinking 8-oz skim milk 3x daily. I am allergicI am to NSAID's.  I am willing to do whatever it takes to get better.  I am very determined for my mother needs me and I need a job.  Please, any medical suggestions which have empirical scientific evidence are welcomed.        
Oh hun, I wish I had something more to give u than just my empathy and support!!!! Sounds very painful all the way around, I really do wish u the very best!! What did the er dr tell u to expect or do?  Is there any free clinics or charity hospitals in ur area u could go to?
No, I live in Tennessee (a no tax state so there are few state dollars to spend on the those in need) and I am unaware of any free clinics around.  I've phoned the local health department but they tell me that another one of their doctors quit so they are not taking any new patients and don't see that they will be taking any new patients anytime in the near future.  
The key here is (1) I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get myself better if I have sound advice how to do it (I'm a hard worker and when given a task, it gets done), and (2) I've desperately need to get better for my mother's sake.  She desperately needs me better.  Her cancer is progressive and I'm here to give her the best "quality of life" she can have before she passes away.  
If you know anyone who has and sound advice, will you pass on any tips they may give me to help me.  I've noticed that I have muscle spasms when I sleep which are painful too.  Any ideas to stop the spasms?  
Again, thank you for all your kind words!