Back & Neck Community
How to know what to expect at a Pediatric Neurosurgeon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I was in a car wreck and I felt fine but my back started hurting so my doctor ordered a x-ray and he said it just looked like muscle spasms and it would heal itself. We were filling the insurance claim and the said no lets just make sure it is still okay. This is now 4 months later, it still kinda hurt but not to bad and I had been playing basketball and the doctor said well we can take more x--rays but I don't think anything will be wrong. that afternoon we get a call saying that their is something really wrong with my back and he didn't know what it was so I was referred to a neurosurgeon. I am really scared, nervous and anxious I have no idea what is wrong or if I will need surgery. I am also only 15 years old.
Hi!
I can appreciate your concerns and apprehensions. If you were in a car wreck, then probably you have a slipped disc with pinched nerve. Since you are still active, it should not be anything serious, but yes, it would be best to consult the neuro-surgeon.
At the specialist’s office, the doctor will take a detailed history, will examine your neurological reflexes, and maybe ask for a MRI of the spine. Treatment will follow the diagnosis. All the best! Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.