Back & Neck Community
I am scared to death how many people die with this surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi I am a 56 year old male 5ft 8in 280lbs. Type 2 Diabetes on lantus insulin 50 units a day.My left leg is numb and now my right is also going numb. With sharp pains going down my right hip most of the time and left some of the time.also my right groin and testy hurts to. My MRI. report says I have a spondylolisthesis/vertebra slippied forward at L4 and a disc protrusion at l5-S1. Formaina narrowing is identified at L4 there i compression on the spinal cord. I had a shot in that disc but it didn't help. The Orthopedic Surgern said I need  a fusion with rods and schews.I take a lot of other meds also. I am scared to death how many people die with this surgery. Can any one shed some light on this. Thank you. BigDan.
hi, sorry your going threw this, been there myself, i have rods running from my neck to bottom of my back i only have 3 vertbras left so i can bend, the surgery is not dangerous if you have a dr that knows what they are doing. these days its nothing to them, just make sure your dr does this kind of surgery at least once a week or more.

i was in surgery for 6 hours was to be 8 but my bones were so good that it took less time, i was also told i would wake up in icu because you swell with the ivs they give you but there again i never had to be there , was told i would be in hospital for 2-3 weeks i ws out in 7 days, so try not be scared , everyone different you may do really good and be out and up before you know it. yes it took me off my feet for a year, there were things i could not do but best surgery i ever had.

they will watch you really close while your out, they will make sure your sugar stays in control and everything elsa. i to was scared of being under that long/blod clots etc but i did great and i bet you will to. get it now while your young and less problems with surgery. plz keep us in touch of how you did and when you are going have it . will pray for you . GOD BLESS YOU Barbara
Thank you for your input and your prayers. Jbigdan
The mortality from the surgery is very low - not significant for practical purposes.

The real issue is your obesity.

Losing 80 pounds might be as helpful as a fusion or laminectomy.

The "shot" in the dis generally does "ungotz".

Try a 5% transdermal lidocaine patch for starters (no more than 12 hours a day), a back support, exercises from a physican rehab specialist, and a TENS device before considering surgery.

I realize it is difficult, but you have to resolve to lose that weight.
Dear jbigdan,
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with caregiver.  Your post stated that you have spinal cord compression at L5.  This can be bad depending on the extent.   I'm sure your surgeon went over the risks and benefits of surgery as well as the risks of doing nothing.  He/she should have also discussed other treatment options, which given the compression, would might have been very limited.  Every patient that I have come across with cord compression has been in surgery within a week or two.  I understand that losing weight my be helpful but it would be difficult to exercise with your back problems and can also make the pain much worse.  I would not put off the surgery as the back pain is the most pressing problem.  My prayers are with you.  Please let us know how things turn out and what you decide.  
Hi, I have had 3 discectomies on L4/L5  lumbar and now they trying me on meds for nerve damage.  My spine full off arthritis and god knows what else.  life everyday is an obstacle and  still on all the pain meds as before.   You wont die though there may be days that you wish you had.  take care...
Thank you for your input. I need all the assurance I can get.
Thank you for your help.