Back & Neck Community
I heard a loud pot then the Grinding/cracking noise started when I turn...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I heard a loud pot then the Grinding/cracking noise started when I turn my head.

Just a few minutes ago, I was sitting hunchback and looking down on the computer. And as I tilt my head up (still my back was hunched), I felt a little resistance and then I heard a loud pop in my neck (I was also wearing head phones ---but not music-- so that may have made the pop louder but it was definitely loud).
There's no pain but when I turn my head side to side, and ear to shoulder I hear this rice crispies cracking nose at the base of my skull and spine. It's especially bad when I turn to my right. There's no noise when I look down or lean back.

I'm 21. Is this a sign of osteoarthritis? What's going on? Should I do yoga or something?
Are my discs, tendons and cartilages dislocated? What should I do?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to tell; though if you can move your neck around without any pain or discomfort, this is unlikely to be anything serious. You may like to get it examined by a primary care physician to be on the safer side.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
For quite some time I've been hearing cracking abd grinding in ny skull. A couple of times I heard pebbles. However lately it's been pain at the very end of my skull and severe shoulder, back pain and pain that shoots down my back, neck and spine. However I don't know how to get anyone to listen. Help?
First thing  don't  ever panic. Confusion of course its normal;to understand this.My neck and base of the skull issues started about 9 months ago. I Traced it back to a day i was sitting on a lawn chair leaning  the back of my neck on the edge of this ridiculously  hideous invention, i woke up with a quick jerk and thought i experienced a whiplash.  Following this my neck has been clicking and cracking several dozen times ,I also practiced martial arts and for years had continuous falls from throws ,with a couple  of times severly crunching my shoulders and neck.I also had a motorbike accident falling on the  asphalt without  my helmet about 3 years ago With my head  experiencing  a severe concussion,my shoulder also came out of the socket .During the recovery period in my shoulder i also felt cracking.On previous occasions to  a chiropractor  i was told i have a slight case of arthritis  in my neck area.I think that during my  soccer years i headed the ball too often .The point of this short story and my synopsis which is definitely  unscientific  based on my personal experience is too much neck and shoulders  trauma,added with my headers,bad sitting and using my tablets  and pc for too long has contributed to  a degeneration of my articulated  movement  in the neck .giving  me slight discomfort and clicking or cracking sounds,i started to do self massages regularly,  using muscular rubs not prescription  type,with some  over the counter painkillers Or something to reduce inflammation.Base on my theory all of these activities could have triggered some dormant gene activating my personal body anomalies. I initiated my own therapy, Correcting my posture when sitting;standing more often or doing regular walks .Hot showers with a cold rinse on the head  neck area.no smoking or minimum alcohol intake. Result is my pain has gone from a level 10 to a .5 ,I noticed when its more humid  and windy i used to to have more discomfort.Don't forget to use  memory foam pillows .Cheers and don't  worry too much you will live a long healthy life.
Great answers, jefroi. Thanks for your post.