Increased Pain after Surgery
I am now just over  months post op from a cervical fusion at C5-C6, C6-C7, and C7-T1. Well, I wanted to let you all know what I have learned in the past month or so.  I had another set of xrays and finally an MRI.  The good news is that there is nothing wrong with the level above my cervical fusion.  The bad news is that it is caused by the additional movement the upper neck is forced to perform.  I am now taking Vicodin 3-4 times a day with minimal relief, but I do not want to become a zombie.  These make me tired as it is.  I can do nothing without increasing my pain in the neck and shoulders and terrible headaches.  I discussed with my  neurosurgeon my options and I am not happy with what I have heard.  We are trying to get a facet joint injection approved my the insurance company to see if that would help relieve some pain.  But when I cornered the doctor on what the next option would be if they did not work, he simply said there was nothing more surgically he could offer.  Since I already failed PT and the meds do not help much, I would just be stuck with my constant pain.  I feel so lazy because I can't do anything and if I try, I am down and out for days with the increased pain.  When I mentioned to the doctor that I might as well file for disability, his only response was, "Go Ahead.  I will support your claim."  To me, this was the most disheartening thing I have ever heard.  I was waiting for him to say that I was still going to heal and all would be well, but I did not get that.  If I should apply for social security benefits, how successful would I be.  Can you get disability from a three level cervical fusion if it has been unsuccessful?  My kids and husband have been doing all the housework and I am unable to do much at all.  Should I try and see what happens?  I have not done anything since Aug. 2007.  Your input would be great on the success (or lack of) facet joint injections and SS disability claims.  Thanks. Jo Ann
I do not know what happened with above post, but I am eight months out from my surgery and pain is worse than before. Jo Ann
go see 2 more neurosurgeons