Back & Neck Community
Is anyone out there missing there right trapezius muscle?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I am 17 and in alot of pain because I am missing my right trapezius muscle. I have been to see about seven doctors and every one says they have never seen this before.  I am the first they have ever seen like this.  I am always in pain and I never get any sleep because of this.  I am just trying to find someone who may have this problem or may know some answers?
I am not sure if its the same muscle, but my grandson was born missing a muscle in his back, he seems normal and no one would ever know if they werent told. he will never be in sports or a heavy  lifter but he is normal in every way. sadly, I probably won't see him ever again, his mother and my son are split and she has taken him away. that is why I don't know to much about this, but, yes, some people are born with a muscle missing.
CAT
okay thanks for your help. we are just looking for someone out there who knows what i can do about this. But thanks for your help.
Hey m8, don't know if you still check that forum, but i am missing right trapezius. drop me an e-mail if you wanna talk about it jan.***@****
You can add me to the club, although for me it's the left trapezius muscle.  It's a recent discovery that was stumbled upon as I was experiencing a lot of upper back pain.  I have heard the same thing, "Wow....I've never seen that before".  
hi there, i was involved in a bad car accident and i had a shoulder injury which caused winged scapula. i am missing my left trapezius muscle, my left sternocleidomastoid muscle, and i also have spinal accessory nerve palsey....   do you guys have problems lifting your arm above your shoulder height?  or shrugging your shoulders? do your shoulder blades stick out when you lift your arm??
I have a 11 year old daugther that is missing the right muscle as well.  We have been to a ton of doctors have have heard the same thing.  One even told me she had a better chance of winner the lottery than being born like this.  We are getting ready to go through more x-rays in the up coming weeks to see if we can find anything else out.  Has anyone ever been to a doctor that has been able to tell them ANYTHING????  Any help or information would be great.  I do find it odd that everyone is missing the right, there has to be some connection?????
there is some1 out there like me thank god im not alone.. im 19.. but i noticed when i was 17 also. im missing my left trapezius muscle.. i went to many different doctors also and they all said the same thing.. they have never seen anything like it. It hurts a lot. i have my whole left arm go numb a lot. i thought i was the only one. i used to play football and it would hurt everyday after i lift. idk whats wrong.. i wish there was something to fix it.
Im 23 , also missing my left trapezius muscle..its been 3 years now since i could not do any lifting with my left arm at all.... i really need help anybody??? email ***@****
My son is currently 4 1/2 and he was born missing his right sternocleidomastoid muscle. He's never be able to play contact sports. We have to be extremely careful since his lung and artery are exposed. He started physical therapy at the age of 7 months. He graduated from therapy at 3 1/2 and is doing great. I would just say see a pt and an ot as well as stretch a lot! Good luck!
My son is 27 and is missing a left trapezius muscle .  He lacks confidence and will not remove his tee-shirt.
He wasn't born that way and I truly believe it was caused by injury whilst on a water slide at age 10. The shoulder
is now deformed and as he also has a hearing impairment now suffers from depression as he feels there is noone
out there with a trapezius muscle missing.  There must be something that can be done to correct this problem.
Would appreciate any information.
I too am missing left trap, sternomastecloid and perhaps it is a spinal nerve apsly- what are the cures? Great to find a thread about this- lets all keep researching and looking to cutting edge technologies as I am certain medicine, with its miraculous advancements, and spiritual teachings as well, will reveal clues as to healing the condition! Blessings (email @ ***@****)
Hi Mouse,
My son is almost 10 and he was born with missing left sternomastecoid, trapezius, jugular vein. He also has cranial nerves 7-10 missing a submucous cleft palate.

We have also seen many Dr's who said he would be in medical text book with such a rare condition.

He also suffers from a lot of pain, and has brought him a lot of teasing and bullying :(

Most of the Dr's have said to just leave the missing muscles, but when he was first born we took him to a reconstructive plastic surgeon who was preparing to do a massive 13 hour Op and take a pectorial muscle and reconnect it as he sternomastoid would have been.

I was wondering if you also suffer an asymmetrical face too as my son does?

All the best to all!!!
Hi Barney03…..
I am a 40 y/o female and am missing my left SCM as well. It was removed due to a hemangioma…which is a tumor comprised of blood vessels (the size of an orange) that had wrapped itself around my jugular vein and destroyed my SCM. What would happen is when I would run, etc…the hemangioma would literally choke the jugular, and I would pass out as a result. Had it not been removed, eventually it would have killed me. My jugular vein was also replaced due to the damage inflicted by the hemangioma. I had this done in 1987. The pain gets worse the older I get and I fear that I will only suffer more as time goes on. My case did go into text books as no one had ever seen a hemangioma of it's sizes located in the neck. At the time of my surgery, I was told repeatedly that there was nothing that could be done as there were no muscles that work in the same way as the SCM, therefore grafting was not an option. I was wondering if your son did have the reconstructive surgery done, and if so the result. I have an appointment to see a surgeon here in NC at Duke next month and am trying to arm myself with as much information as possible.
I just googled missing sternocliedomastoid onn a whim and found this site. I have a missing left scm and my left trap is either somewhat diminished or not there. I never really noted it growing up and its been of minimal issue for me. I played football growing up, defensive lineman in HS and JHS, and I did other sports as well. It never got in my way and it never occured to me at the time there was something different. I asked my anatomy teacher in college if he'd ever heard of someone missing an scm and he was shocked. I do get somewhat regular knots in my lower trap and neck muscles, and they can sometimes be very dibilitating, but they normally relax and go back to normal over the course of a few days. I've done streght training since I was a young teen and I think that that has helped a lot as I've aged. I'm 49 now.