Back & Neck Community
Is it possible to aggrevate a compression fracture?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

ive had back pain since august, not exactly sure when i had my fracture, i was dxd finally in late december, my dr told me it would heal, not completely, but heal within 6-8 weeks, but its been 8 MONTHS!!! i havent done much, since my last dr visit a month ago or so i have been doing some of the excersices he rxd me, which didnt go too well, but its ok, so i decided to start roller skating.
im a hockey player and this fracture was non traumatic, so its odd that it even happened, so after skating and taking some shots for about 45 minutes and i took a few breaks in between because i was feeling very tight pains, i couldnt even slightly bend over, in fact it was hard at times to even stand straight, i had to lean against a fence.
so is it possible that i aggrevated my fracture somehow?
or maybe is it just that i havent done much activity for a long time that my muscles are tense?
im feeling terrible right now and im out of vicodin:(
id appreciate any help, thank you
Welcome to the Back and Neck Community. Members are here to provide assistance and support to individuals experiencing symptoms related to possible abnormal conditions of the spine.  Advice given is non-professional and is primarily based on personal experiences.

Non-traumatic compression fractures are usually the result of a thinning of the bone mass such as osteoporosis,  Even bending over can produce a fracture due to the weakness of the bone.  The vertebrae are unable to withstand even normal pressure.
Compression fractures can heal within 6-8 weeks, but they can permanently alter the configuration of the spine and therefore pain can be a factor long after the fracture has completely or partially healed.
If your fracture was non-traumatic, did they determine the underlying cause?  It would be important to determine the cause as it increases your risk for additional fractures over time.  Roller skating could be an activity that the weakened bones would not be able to handle.  Has your doctor done a bone density exam?  It would be beneficial to learn how the fracture occurred and what preventive measures can be taken to prevent further injury.
Please post again with an update and any additional questions/concerns you may have.
Best wishes ----
i fell 15 feet off an extension ladder and landed flat on my back. I went to the emergncy room and had x rays done and the doc said that he sees a fracture of the l1, and that it looks fairly stable but i should have a specialist look at it. since this injury occured during the holidays it was tuff to get an appointment anytime soon, so like a dumbey i returned to work the next day cause i have bills to pay and it really didnt hurt to bad. ive done some mild lifting and rode a bike for 30 miles (dont ask) by the time i saw the specialist i had already worked for three days the specialist had me do an mri which revealed a compression fracture of the l1. he gave me a cash brace and told me dont do anything for 3 months. its been 18 days since my accident and ive noticed that some days i feel like theres no pain at all and others i feel like crap,ive been taking hydrocodon every 8 hrs,and have been working very light duty stuff, what i was wondering is if i should be sleeping with my cash brace on? and how can i tell if ive reeaggravated this injury? and also i have trouble urinating ,a friend told me its from the pain killers but ive noticed it immediatly the day after the accident