Back & Neck Community
Is this pain my back or an inside organ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi there, I am having some back right in the middle of the right side of my back, below my shoulder. I would say the pain is about at the bottom of my rib cage, not under it. The pain changes when I move -- it will go away in the right position or hurt more. It is dull and basically sits there. I took a nap and didn't notice it when I woke up until I sat at my computer. I don't have any other symptoms and am a 25-year-old female. My only ongoing health issue is hyperthyroidism (Grave's Disease).

I don't have any problems I am aware of. Several years ago my blood tests were coming up that I had a fatty liver or some sort of liver issue, but ultrasounds didn't find anything unusual about my liver. My doctor thought maybe a medication of mine was giving me a false positive in my blood work. Several months ago, blood tests for my adrenal levels were too high. I worried about tumors in my kidney, but when I re-tested, the levels were fine. Other than that, my health insurance ended about two months ago, so I'm past the days of getting ultrasounds to feel better. I did have an ultrasound a few months ago because of intermittent dull pain in my abdomen and pelvis, but nothing was found and the pains have mostly gone away, but I still get little pains here and there.

My immediate concern is always cancer. I think I have somewhat of paranoia about it because when everything is wrong with me, I assume and fear cancer. What should I make of this pain back I've had for a couple days? Could it be my back itself or something inside of me? I tried two ibuprofen today but the pain didn't go away. At what point do I go to the doctor?