Knots and Pain on shoulder blades
Ive had pain and knots in my back between my spine and both shoulder blades since freshman year of high school. I am a 19 year old female. The pain comes and goes at random. But this time its the worst its ever been. Ive tried stretching/massaging my muscles but that doesn't seem to be working. Ive taken so many asprin/ibprophen over the years that they don't even phase me anymore so Ive stopped taking them. I am studying to be an automotive technician and I want to nip this back pain in the bud before I get out in the feild and it gets worst. Ive asked my instructors who have had back problems and they told me it was just stress. Can you give me some non-surgical suggestions?
go to a website by Jolie Bookspan and read read read. sounds like you have WEAK midback and posterior scapular stabilizer muscles (espec rhomboids). this comes from poor posture-- ie rounded shoulders and upper back. what you need to do is strengthen the mid back and posterior scapular stabilizers and stretch the muscles in your neck (scalenes, scms, traps, etc) that are pulling your head forward. you need to get your head balanced over your spine.
I was in a similar situation at that age, chronic unexplained upper/mid back pain. I got a job for a chiropractor that taught Neuromuuscular Reeducation (NMR) and he worked agreed to treat me. After just a few sessions, my knots and back pain were gone. His website is here: http://www.nmrseminars.com/ and he lists chiropractors and licensed massage providers all over the country who practice this.

The muscles between your shoulders run from your butt all the way to your neck. The best way I can describe this process is think of the muscles as toothpaste. If you want to get all the toothpaste out of a tube, you start at one end and squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze it up to the other end. That's kind of what happens in this. Starting at one end of the muscle the provider applies pressure over the course of the whole muscle.