Back & Neck Community
L5-S! fusion recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

L5-S! fusion recovery

In October of 2013 I had right knee replacement that went well. 2 weeks after surgery I started experiencing severe shooting nerve pain in my left leg. While I was at the physical therapist he worked on my back also, no relief.

I had been told 8 years earlier that I needed back surgery for degenerative disk, but I put it off knowing that someday it would be necessary.

Physical therapist sent me to a pain clinic. There my back was "shoot up". 24 hours later the pain returned.

I then went to a chiropractor/massage therapist, who gave me treatment and massage but told me that they would not be able to help, and said the only thing that was going to help was the surgery.This was the opinion of the physical therapist and the Dr. at the pain clinic.

By the time I could get in to see the neurosurgeon, I was miserable. So, on December 19 2013 I had a L5-S1 mechanical fusion.

In recovery I awoke to the most excruciating pain I had ever felt in my life!!! Nerve pain from my back to my left foot, my left leg felt like I had rubber band just below my calf, and my left foot was tingling like it was asleep!!!

When the Dr. came in I told him that something was severely wrong, but was told this was normal. 5 miserable days later, with no sleep and no relief, I was sent for a CT scan, which revealed a screw was pressing on a nerve.
So on December 26 (worse Christmas of my life) I was back in surgery.

Finally, here I am 7 months later and my left foot still feels like its asleep, I have what feels like cramps in my foot and leg but not of muscles but bone nerve and tendon. I still have nerve pain in my left leg but not so that I can't handle. My left foot wants to roll over when I walk. My balance is horrible, and both legs ache all the time. I have severe back pain when I cough or sneeze.BUT, the surgeon tells me I am doing great!

I plan to consult another surgeon but have been told that no one will touch me until 1 year post surgery.

Any one got advice?
I would contact a lawyer who specializes in malpractice, I am doing the exact same thing and was told I have a good case!  If the pain is really severe check out pain management, they have really helped me as well
In the same boat as you had l4tos1 done 4 month's ago and having the same problem's  as you are don't know what to tell you because we are just sitting here waiting for the Docter to call me. Just aint right.