Back & Neck Community
L5 S1 Herniated Disc Hernia on right side pain on the left side.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I have a L5 S1 herniated disc. My MRI shows it herniated on the right side of the disc but 90% of my pain is on my left side of my back and down my left leg. I have pain on  my right as well but not nearly as bad as my left side. My Doc says its extremly rare. I had a Independent madical exam for my L & I and they denied me because the pain isnt in the right area to be caused by the herniated disc. So basically Im a liar. Well I swear Im telling the truth! Can someone maybe help me understand whats going on with me. Thank you much.

Zach
I would have a nerve test done, that is what they did for me, back pain is complicated and very complex if you go to see a pain management doctor they can direct to doctors who do nerve testing and they will believe you, with me i could explain my pain and they were able to describe to me exactly what was going on it made me feel so much better to find out where my pain was stemming from, hope i helped.
Hi, Im am assuming seing that you had a IME, That this is a comp injury. So good luck. Two it could be siatica pain. Or some other type of nerve pain. good luck. Molly.
The reason your pain is on your left is because your left side is having to compensate for the damage on the right. It is stretched and twisted out of its normal alignment. Have the nerve testing done as previously suggested and get a third opinion with a good neurologist or orthopedic surgeon. Back adjustments with a good chiro. that understands about your herniated disc may help in the mean time to relieve some of your pain along with ibuprofen. Best of luck to you.

Sissie