L5,S1 and L4,L5 Disc bulges affecting incontinence,bowels movement and exreme pain
After having a discogram performed, results confirmed extreme pain in L5,S1 disc and in L4,L5. This disc affects my legs, left foot drop, increased incontinence, and bowel incontinence.  My question:

Can a disc replacement be performed and is it successful?
What is term "fusion" with regard to this problem?
And would not treating this and trying to exercise my pelvic floor muscles help? And would surgery at some point down the road be needed?

Thank you for your help.

if your having bowel problems they shouldnt even be waiting they should do surgery asap
why are they waiting?
that can cause permanant nevrve damage and you may never get that controll back!!!!!!!!
call the dr get some straight answers...
always write down any questions you have for him/her it so easy to forget once you get there or talk to them on the phone..
please don't wait get something done now
god bless you and please let me know. i suffer from bulging and torn disc in  L4 L5  & S1
have tried epiduarals over 14 of them and therapy only to find out i needed surgery a fusion also
a fusion was discribrd to me as the layer between the vertebrates breaks down and starts shiftng and can tear leaking fluid and putting pressure on the nerves, they go in scrape away the bed and put this little round cage that has a bone substance in it between the vertabrates and then the put a small metel brace on each side to hold it in place... i hope this helps
concerning your bowels..............are you on pain meds,you do know they will affect it,constipation
I was recently in a car wreck that resulted in severe back pain. An MRI was done with the results being a bulging disc at L4/L5 with a 5.5mm bulge @L5/S1 and a hemangioma at T11.  My back pain is very bad.  Any suggestions?????
Disc replacement is usually done when there is only one level that needs replacing.  I think there is a hospital in Germany now that is doing multiple levels, but you won't find many (if any) places in the states that do it.  I have torn discs (through the annulus) at L3/L4, L4/L5, and L5/S1.  I had a microdiscectomy at L5/S1 in December and was doing great, until my leg began to buckle out from under me.  I'm having a 3-level fusion next month.  Not generally recommended, but in my case the discs and the arthritis in my vertebrai indicates it might be the best option.

Linda
I hope someone can answer this question, I have 3 bulging disc to the lumbar spine with a large smorholes node on the endplate. it is getting very bad. I am having some urine problems (leaking) I have had epidurals, cortosone injections, pain medication, massage, and physical therapy. I am at my wits end. I also have severe disc degeneration due to arthritis. The doctor here in Florida jusr keeps telling me to take the medication and do more injections. I am concerned because it is getting much worse and my leg is having so much pain going done to my foot. Is this something I should be concerned about or will it resolve at sme point? Thank so much.

Debbie