Back & Neck Community
L5/S1 disc prolapse, Do I need surgery?????????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

nurse Hi,
I have an l5s1 disk prolapse indenting the thecal sac with mild disk degeneration and dessication (desiccation) at l4 l5 and s1 with endplate changes,and my disc is torn. flags the surgeon says I need a new disk but my pain has got less in the 4wks since it happened, this is the third time I have had a problem in ten yrs when I first injured my back moving a patient and each time the pain is worse, it comes on as an ache in my lower back and buttocks then becomes instantly debilitating. I was on the floor in agony when my legs just gave way with the pain and was totally unable to move at all until the paramedics gave me something to get me into hospital. I had a spinal block but still have mild pain and numbness in my back legs and feet that increases as the day goes on or with exhertion. does it sound like I really need this operation. any advice would be great
ps the mri from 2010 when compared to 2008 shows that the prolapse and degeneration is slightly worse and there is also a bulge at my L4 narrowing and endplate changes that were not there in 2008.
thank you sharon