Large bulging disc
Hello. I have had pretty bad back pain for a couple months now.  I've had right sided lower back pain, middle lower back pain and upper back pain between shoulder blades.  It has come to a point where I had to go on leave pretty much with my job until I can find some relief.  I work as an LPN at a nursing home.  My MRI results show a large bulging disc at L5 with close proximity to the S1 nerve.  I seen an orthopaedic about this and he just seemed like he didn't care about anything I had to say. He suggested a get a lumbar epidural.  I was a little nervous when receiving the epidural because it involves your back and spine.  I spoke with a few friends and they said it would not be bad at all. Well they were wrong.  It hurt pretty bad and my rt. leg extremely hurt for hours when I got home. It was throbbing and my husband rubbed it for hours til it subsided. My ortho doc who did the procedure said that I should return to work the next day. I was like really?  I havent been to work for a few weeks due to the pain and my pain is still there. Well I received one a few weeks ago and the pain in still there.  I put ice on my back all the time. He set me up for physical therapy which really hurts anytime i do their exercises and it seems to increase the pain.  I'm getting a second opinion from someone who hopefully knows what they are talkin about next week.  
Hello my name is misty, I slso work in a nursing home been there for 11yrs, I know that's makes me sound old lol... but i'm only 31. I've been out of work for little over 2 months, and yes i went through the same injection you did it helped for about 2 weeks, and that was IT???  right back to the same oh pain in back and legs went back to the doctor and, which is great wish the same for you, He told me that the only thing to do is surgery. my L5/ S1 is compressing completely on my synotic nerve and causing the pain in my legs it feels like someone is ripping my calf muscles out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope to here from you soon.