Back & Neck Community
Left Shoulder Blade Area, Neck Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Left Shoulder Blade Area, Neck Pain

I'm sorry this is so long, but I want to give as many facts as possible.

Yesterday morning I woke up with no pain at all and within 30 minutes on being awake I had this ache around my left shoulder blade like it needed to be popped. If I got up and just held my arm and hand to the side my fingers would go numb in seconds until I moved them. Within minutes of the start of the pain, it had spread up to the base of my neck and down to the middle of my back all on the left side. I had problems standing up from the pain and I was nearly crying. I took Naproxin and got in the shower with full heat on my neck and back. This made it just barely manageable. Driving to work, it hurt to turn my head at all when I switched lanes. I made it to work, but I was only able to work for 2 hours before I called my clinic. The nurse at the clinic asked me whether it felt like muscle pain and I said a little bit but not really. She decided that, since almost 2 weeks before I had been it the clinic because I was having some shortness of breath when I did normal things, like walking 50 feet, I should go to the emergency room (She thought I might be having a heart attack). When I got to the emergency room, I still hurt if I turned my head or back for any reason. When the nurse listened to my breathing she said I wasn't breathing deep, my doctor had said the same thing when I went to the clinic two weeks before. When the doctor came in and she was feeling my back, she pushed on one spot next to my shoulder blade, which made me cry out, and decided she had discovered the problem... muscle pain. She tried to give me a prescription for Naproxin and when I told her I had already taken it she looked surprised, but then she just told me to use ice and heat on my back and it would go away. That's what I did all last night (I went to work again today), and while I was using the ice and heat, I felt this creepy crawly feeling on my arm near my elbow and I started feeling a faint pain in my chest near the left hand center. Today, I have a lot more mobility, thanks to taking the naproxen every 5 hours, but I still hurt and my actual shoulder joint is starting to hurt, my left arm feels tingly when I move my neck and I'm fatigued. Any ideas on what can be causing this. I have high blood pressure (most of the time controlled by medication, except yesterday), I'm borderline diabetic, I have PCOS, and I'm a smoker.