Back & Neck Community
Left shoulder blade muscle... stinking, sharp, burning pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Viewing 201-253 comments:
Thank you for the positive feedback! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Warm regards,
Hi, I've been having pain, burning and it feels like there is someone putting hot needles in my back on the Left side of my spine. mid/upper back. I had xrays taken today of my Left thoracic spine..waiting for an MRI to be done... what could this possibly be? ive been having the pain for about 2 years and I'm 20 years old.
-Megan
There is a good chance you have an aggravated trigger point in your left anterior scalene muscle. This muscle is located in the front of your neck and the referred pain is located exactly where you describe, middle upper back. If you rotate your head and place your chin to your left clavicle and it hurts the left anterior scalene muscle is tight and/or has an aggravated trigger point.

I urge you to find a photo to see where this muscle attaches to the first rib (behind the clavicle) and then apply pressure to the muscle using your finger when raising your bent left arm in various degrees. When you locate the spot you will reproduce the pain in your upper back. Make sure that your finger nail is clipped short and be prepared as this is going to be painful. After massaging the muscle using firm finger pressure stretch the muscle by rotating your head to the opposite side and dipping your chin behind your clavicle. If done correctly the relief will be immediate.

Coughing can aggravate this trigger point, as can pulling, lifting or tugging. If one of your legs is longer than the other or one half of your pelvis is smaller than the other it will strain the neck muscles. So make sure your body is in good balance and your posture is upright. It helps to sleep with the head of the bed elevated so you don't raise your shoulders to your ears which puts the scalene muscles in a shortened painful position.

Make sure that you are breathing correctly - when you breath in your belly should expand - instead of paradoxical breathing where you suck in your belly when taking a deep breath - this strains the scalene muscles unnecessarily.

Good luck Meagan and don't stop until you get it right - you've been suffering for way too long.
Wish I could get ahold of you. I am now laying in bed, with the feeling that somebody else gets how I feel. I'm off of work today, again, because of disabling pain in my back, shoulder, neck, and chest. What you say completely makes sense to me. I have also waisted time and money on what turned out to be useless doctor visits. Anyway, don't know if you'll see this, but I could use some extra support from ya, if you do, my email address is ***@**** please feel free to get in touch with me. You may have just changed my life for the better, as I really had no idea the cause for all this pain.  Now I have an idea that makes sense. Thank you
For the last 4 months I have been having a pain in the Right shoulder blade area more when I wake in the morning..It would go away shortly and I would be able to continue the day without much notice of the pain..It has now gotten so much worst.  It's taken longer for the pain to leave.  I have a cold now and seem to be coughing which extreamly painful.  I can relieve the pain by sitting up stright.  I do excersise and do Zumba classes without pain I can move my arm without any pain.  It just gets worst when I sitting on the couch or in bed sleeping.  Any suggetions?  Thanks
Pain that is described as being in the right shoulder blade area is usually due to aggravated trigger points in the serratus posterior superior muscle. The reason people are not able to be more specific when describing where this pain is located is because the trigger point lies underneath the shoulder blade. That is also why this trigger point, when activated, can be so excruciatingly painful - it rubs between two bones - the ribs and the shoulder blade.

The trick to getting at this trigger point is move the shoulder blade out of the way. You do this by moving the arm on the affected side across the front of your body. You can do this either laying down or standing up against a wall. When the shoulder blade is moved to the side place a tennis ball on the spot and apply pressure. When you get it right, the relief you feel will be immediate.

Good luck and don't stop until you get it right.
I have this same pain occaisionally, but on the left side.  The same muscles ?   I have read your many other comments.

DOTD51011
Yes, thank you for pointing that out. The affected muscle can be either on the left or the right.
I have a torn Glenoid Labrum. This is causing all my back problems. I can't get a doctor who will fix it. They tell me it a small tear and they will not do surgery to fix it. I tried the physical therapy it did not work either. The tear is on the left shoulder but the right side gives me fits. I will wake up with muscle spasm either in my neck or my shoulder blades. I have been living with this for years. I have one muscle on the right that burns when I am sitting on the couch or at the movies. I can't sit still for long periods of time. I have a desk job so this seems to make things worse. OH yeah how I got the torn Labrum is anybody's guess. I am thinking it was from leaning on my elbow causing my shoulder to protrude. I caught myself doing that.
Yes, read what I wrote on September 27, 2010 regarding torn labrums.

If it doesn't hurt your left shoulder when you reach overhead I would reconsider the source of your pain since your glenoid labrum tear is small and the pain you're experiencing is on the opposite side of your body. Plus, you wrote that the pain is aggravated when you sit for long periods of time.
Hello, I'm a 19 year-old girl. As far as past medical history, I have a very minor form of simple partial epilepsy (seizures are under control - I haven't had them in 2 years) and panic disorder, in case they have anything to do with my excruciating left shoulder/upper back pain. I've never fallen or gotten into an accident, but I do have poor posture, and like most students now-a-days, I used to carry a heavy backpack.
Basically, I feel the pain right under the inside border of my left shoulder blade (the side that's closer to my spine), almost as if it's radiating from a muscle. Sometimes the pain also feels like it's right under the upper inside corner of my left shoulder blade. The most obvious symptom is when that area cracks if I rotate my shoulder. People can sometimes hear the cracks if they are very close to me. It's also not nearly as flexible (especially if I push it backward) as my right shoulder. I do get a burning sensation which sometimes radiates down my left arm to my hand. Almost every time I type for a long time (e.g. if I'm writing a paper on the computer) the color of my skin strangely gets tanner and the veins of my left hand pop out.
One time my friend massaged me in the area where I experienced pain and she said she clearly felt a knot right in that area but after she did it, I was in excruciating pain. Last summer, I went to a specialist who at first diagnosed me with a slipped disc. After looking at the MRI she then said she was wrong. She sent me to physical therapy. They said it was my levator scapulae and massaged me. I was also put on Relafin and other pills like that and I have NEVER experienced that much pain in my life. It got so bad that I couldn't even life my arm for longer than a couple of seconds to do my hair. I went to another specialist who said part of it was bursitis, but I did not go further with physical therapy as I was starting school again and was afraid to experience any more sort of pain because it was so distracting.
Sorry this is so lengthy, but basically, I have been experiencing burning, cracking, sore pain under my left shoulder blade.
Thanks so so much! I'm so desperate!!!
There is a good chance that if the scalene muscles in the neck are tight the synergistic serratus posterior superior muscle is also going to be affected and vice versa.

The pain area you describe - upper inside border of your left shoulder blade - is the site for the referred pain due to active trigger points in the serratus posterior superior muscle.

The burning sensation which radiates down your left arm to your hand, the changes in skin color, and the popping veins  (venous obstruction) are symptoms of brachial plexus entrapment due to tight scalene muscles.

SItting at a desk for long periods with your shoulders elevated and slouched (rotated forward) aggravates your condition.
Thank you so much! I wish I had come to you sooner!!! Is there any type of therapy you suggest or anything that I can do at home as well?
You're welcome Vanessa Anne! It pains me that people suffer so much and that their doctors, aside from ruling out a serious disorder, are not able to help.

I just read what scott3272, wrote on Oct 30, 2010 regarding the treatment he received due to tight scalene muscles. This is what he wrote his chiropractor said about his condition.

"Her immediate response - you have a rib out of place. This is not muscle related at all and is probably due to the violence of either coughing or sneezing. "

The chiropractor was right in Scott's case that the cause was due to coughing. But if you look at where the anterior and medius scalene muscles attach to the first and sometimes the second rib you can see clearly where spastic scalene muscles are the source of the problem and by releasing the tension in these muscles you will drop the rib back from it's elevated position.

You can treat this problem yourself while sitting a chair.

Place your finger in the groove behind your clavicle. Raise your bent left arm in various degrees and move your shoulder forward.  When you locate the spot you will reproduce the pain in your upper back. Apply pressure.

Make sure that your finger nail is clipped short and be prepared as this is going to be painful. After massaging the muscle using firm finger pressure stretch the muscle by rotating your head to the opposite side and dipping your chin behind your clavicle. If done correctly the relief will be immediate. If not, repeat this treatment a few times.
Self -treatment for the serratus posterior superior muscle is effective if you know that the trick to getting at this trigger point is move the shoulder blade out of the way. You do this by moving the arm on the affected side across the front of your body. You can do this either laying down or standing up against a wall. When the shoulder blade is moved aside place a tennis ball on the sore spot and apply pressure. When you get it right, the relief you feel will be immediate.

If, when you describe your pain as being, "right under the upper inside corner of my left shoulder blade," you mean in the armpit area then the subscapularis muscle is in question. This is one of the four rotator cuff muscles.

When this muscle harbors active trigger points arm movements (range of motion in the shoulder) becomes limited. You will not be able to lift your arm (restricted abduction) for longer than a couple of seconds at a time and it will hurt to reach across to the opposite arm pit (adducting the arm).  And if you were to look at a photograph of yourself from behind with your arm hanging down your palm will be facing backwards instead of toward your side.

Your subscapularis muscle is located under your shoulder blade and attaches to the inside of your humerus and medially rotates and adducts the arm. Repetitive motions such as pouring drinks which requires medial rotation can cause problems as can pitching a ball.

Constant pain is experienced in the back shoulder joint (posterior deltoid area) and radiates down the back of your arm and wrist.
If you hire someone to help you make sure beforehand that they know how to deal with this specific problem as the subscapularis muscle is one of the more difficult muscles to examine. Or you can teach your husband to help you.

Lay relaxed on your back and move your bent arm away from your body so the scapula moves laterally (out). Have your husband grasp the muscles in your armpit area (latissimus dorsi & teres major) and with his thumb or finger feel the inner border of the scapula where the subscapularise attaches while gently pulling your arm in a lateral rotation. Have your husband feel for tenderness and when he finds the right spots light pressure will reproduce your pain.

Stretch this muscle by laying on your back and lift or have your bent arm lifted gently overhead until the forearm is hanging over the edge of the bed or table. When standing reach up behind your head and reach for the ceiling. The In-doorway stretch is effective especially after you've warmed up in a tub, shower or used a heating pad.

When sleeping on the painful side or on your back place a pillow between your upper arm and chest to prevent the muscle from staying in a shortened position for too long.

When sleeping on the pain free side a pillow is used to support your arm and prevent the shoulder from adducting (hanging down) which puts the muscle in a fully shortened position. And place your hands on your waist when standing for long periods - you're preventing your arms staying close to your body.
I live in a small country town, where all medical services are stretched to the limit and getting a doctors appointment means you have wait up to 6 weeks.   So hence,  using the internet to do some research.  And boy am I glad I found this one.  I have two areas that are giving me problems – my hips and my right back from neck, should to hip area,  and occasionally my left neck and shoulder.

About 10 years ago I would wake up through the night with pain around my right hip.  It would occasionally  cause me problems through out the day as well,  so I had X rays done, and was then sent to a Physio who said that my lower back was glued up and that he couldn’t really help me. (During this time, I had endured a divorce, moving house, working a full time job, and waitressing at night where I was running up and down stairs with heavy plates etc).

Fast forward 5 years, and I noticed that not only my hips were causing me pain, but I would walk like a duck first thing in the morning until I limbered up.  After a while people started to notice that my walk had changed.  So I went back to the Dr and had blood tests for Arthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis.  Although the results were inconclusive, I was sent to a specialist, having x rays and more blood work and who diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia.  Gave me a prescription for anti depressants and sent me on my way.  I just threw the script away, and read as much as I could about the condition.  (Although I do not believe that this is what I have after my research). And I don’t walk like a duck anymore in the mornings; this seems to have corrected itself.

And now 5 years later on I am still getting pain in my hip area.  To the point that if I walk for medium periods, I find I am in pain, and need to find a seat until it settles, before I can go on.  I sometimes find that when I lie on that area, I also get the uncomfortable pain as well.  (More like a pressure feeling at times)

Also, like many of us I work on the computer for hours, and have a break every hour or so, I also do some exercises while I have the break, but find that my neck, shoulders and what feels like the muscle right down my right back burn and ache.  I have been seeing an Osteopath who does wonders and I follow her advice, but after a few days I am back to where I started.  And after my last appointment, I felt awful and spent the day in bed.  I have also now started to get silent migraines, with the zig zag lines.  These can be days apart, weeks apart or a month apart.  I managed to see an Ophthalmologist who said there was nothing wrong with my eyes.  (Good news).  But I wonder whether these are caused through my neck and back.

Also, I used to sit on a high stool for many hours, over many years, which gave me no support for my back, and I know I would slouch.  But the stool has gone, and I am endeavouring to sit up straight on a lower chair.
Sorry for the long ramble, but I guess I am at a point where it is impacting on my life.  My good old mojo seems to have gone somewhere else and I would like it back.  I have also read many of the posts and the one on 24 November 2009, which certainly makes a lot of sense.  Cheers

Yes, if pain is impacting your life it's time to get rid of it once and for all. Mojo and pain cannot live in the same body.

What you have learned is that muscle pain can move around the body and if it creeps up your back to your shoulder and your neck you will be thrown out of alignment.  

The good news is that there is a lot you can do to help  yourself.

Start by stretching your glutes and their antagonists -  the iliopsoas and the rectus femoris muscle to open up the hips.

The trick to stretching the rectus femoris muscle is that unlike the other three hip flexors which crosses only one joint the rectus femoris crosses two joints, the knee and the hip. So, when you're standing upright and you grasp the foot of your bent leg and press your heel into your glute you must also move your knee behind you (extending your hip) making sure to remain in an upright posture.

A good stretch for the psoas muscle is to lay on your back (supine) bend your knees and let them fall open so the sole of your feet are together. Position pillows under the outside of your knees for support so that a gentle stretch is placed on the muscles and they are not left hanging.

Stretch your thoracolumbar paraspinal muscles by sitting on the floor with your feet straight in front of you. Reach for your toes. A less strenuous stretch is when you're sitting in a chair and you fall forward between your legs. Twisting to the side targets the rotators.

Stretch the scalene muscles in your neck. Lie on your back (supine) and anchor your hand under your bottom. Tilt your head back a bit and bend the head to the opposite direction using your other hand to pull your head (ear) to your shoulder. If you face away you're stretching the scalenus posterior, if you face forward you're stretching the scalenus medius and if you look toward the muscle you're stretching it's is the scalene anterior.

What you need to know to achieve a good hamstring stretch is to stretch the adductor magnus first.

Learn to position your self comfortably. The trick to placing a pillow between your legs to give your glutes a break from a painful stretch position when you're lying on your side is to not let the foot dangle. The whole leg is to be supported,

Keep your body warm. And take tennis balls and the heating pad to bed with you.

Use proper body mechanics, learn how to breath correctly, diaphramatic versus paradoxical breathing (scalene muscles) and don't stay in any one position for too long especially if it's in a deep seated chair (psoas) and your legs are crossed (semimebranosus/semitendinosus). And don't sit in a chair whose hard edge cuts deep into your hamstring muscles. These factors perpetuate your problem.

There is absolutely no reason why you can't heal yourself and prevent this from ever happening again.

Good luck!
Hi, Fell out of a 3rd storey window 30 yrs ago and MRI ( 4 yrs ago)
        shows prominent Lesions on C4 -C7.
C3 - Posterior bulging of the disk.
C5 - Osteophyte complex with compression of the right C5 nerve root.
        Compression of the DURAL SAC and SPINAL CORD noted.
C6 - Left nerve root is displaced and stretched.
       Mass effect on the ventral aspect of the dural sac.
C7 - Disk protusion and framinal narrwing.

I would so appreciate any advice on which muscles I should work on, to strengthen them, hoping that it would ease the pain, which has now reached the point that I pass out and dry retch ( due to flap/valve of the oesophagus )

Been told by one Dr here in the UK that its all in my mind and that I should forgive. My own GP, having also seen the MRI results has told me the dural sac bulging normally goes outwards but that mine is going inwards, towards my spinal cord. These Dr's confuse me and all I want is relief. Morphine does not even help anymore and I certainly would prefer to strengthen muscles and posture to help ease all this pain, which is interfering with my life.

Thanks, if you are able to give me some advice.
BTW. , I am returning to Cape Town, South Africa, in 2 months time and if you by any chance know of a reputable therapist, please let me know?

Avon
hi i am 30 i have had pain in the mid back right at the last rib on left side always sore and pain in left bicep and tingly in the last two fingers on left had also pain in left thigh and foot. they all came about the same time but i had a orthopedic say everythings fine its a muscle. physical therapy say ita muscle but it still hurts and feels tight
I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing so much pain in your neck Avon.

I recommend you find an experienced masseuse and treat yourself to weekly full body massages using moist heat and gentle stretches focusing on the neck. The muscles aren't weak they're tense - releasing the tension is first and foremost.

For strengthening I would focus on the back muscles (extensors) which are responsible for holding you in an upright position. This posture takes the strain off your neck.

Keep your neck/body warm. Try to keep active and spend time in nature. And if you can find yourself in situations where you're laughing uncontrollably, all the better.

I'm sorry, I don't have any referrals in Cape Town but if anything changes I'll be sure to let you know.
Hi everyone. I was looking up specific muscle groups for under the right shoulder because in spite of an 80min massage on Saturday (today is Monday) the muscle between my lat.dorsi group and under my right shoulder is barking like a dog and feels somewhat like it's about to leap off my body and go its own way.
Weird sensation, I call it pain still, but it's more irritating than anything especially as I've just had a massage.

I'm going somewhere a bit different with all this so bare with me;
twenty years of pain, scoliosis between my shoulder blades, I'm 38 and for the last twelve years I've done everything I can to lessen the daily pain and discomfort including fortnightly massage, monthly chiropractic, acupuncture, obsessive swimming, massage massage and massage. There are some really average therapists out there who have made me worse. Same with chiro, but with chiro the best thing he could do was put my atlas/C1 "in place". Except it popped out anywhere between one day and three weeks.
In exasperation after a dream one night about two months ago and a really bad week of chiro crackings and wrenchings I went nuts researching the atlas. I found 'Atlas Profilax' but didn't think much of it when it came up over and over- it took two days before I looked in to it.
Long story a tad shorter, I made an appt. that same week, cancelled my chiro and at least three quarters of the chronic pain I'd been experiencing had literally disappeared within the week.
I kid you not, this is really extraordinary treatment. It was virtually painless- you'd have to be a serious wimp to even shriek or moan, no more painful than a massage which is what it is, but quick, less than ten mins.
I can't say enough about this treatment.
(Same with the Weston A. Price's book 'Nutrition and Physical Degeneration' which is nothing less than a life-changing goldmine EVERY HUMAN ought to read this minute...)
I urge everyone including the very knowledgeable writer in here who knows about the serratus posterior superior and the subscapularis to look in to it. 'Atlas Profilax' is genuinely astounding.
The only problem for me now is finding a competent massage therapist who can 'empty out' the old junk from the muscles- meaning the two groups mentioned earlier. The average therapists are pretty useless I'm afraid, they do three months of anatomy on a basic course and we are expected to benefit from their professional knowledge. A bit nuts.
At least now I can speak to my massage guy and be specific about the bits he missed the other day.
Best health to everyone, your body is in your own hands. X

Good going! The atlas orthogonal instrument is interesting. Thank you very much and good luck! Please keep us posted.
I have burning pain on the right side of my lower neck and upper back and when I use either arm a certain way it sends a sharp pain to my right shoulder.  I have a swollen area on my lower neck where my spine curves and it is the size of a softball. I am a cake decorator so I have to hold my head down for long periods of time. But even when I am not doing that the pain starts up. The past few years I have been suffering from this. But the past few days have been the worst by far. When I apply pressure it hurts but it feels good also. But as soon as I stop the pain comes back immidiately. I don't know what to do. My PCP does not seem to want to help me. I have already been to a neurologist and they said they didn't see anything but I am not imagining this. I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he was rude to me. He told me the pain is because I have 3 kids and I suffer with bipolar disorder. Yes I know stress can cause some of this but come on!!! Not all of it. I am hurting so bad right now I am in tears as I type this. Can someone please help me figure out what this is please???? Guess I will just have to make another trip to the ER :(
I have burning under my shoulder blades and have tried your advice about that. It works! thank you very much. My other problem is pain in my butt cheeks when I sit.  Actually, to be more precise, it hurts when I get up from sitting. I have had an MRI and they do not see an impinged nerve causing psiatica. I sit at my job and have trouble finding any cushion that helps with this problem.
Thank you. I'm glad you took my advice and it worked. I appreciate the positive feedback.

This is a post I wrote on another site where people were suffering the same symptoms you describe - it hurts when you sit and it hurts to get up from a sitting position. I've included a response by SillyDee.

Many of you mention that it hurts behind your legs when you sit. The reason for this is that you are digging into your hamstring muscles with the back of a hard chair that does not fit you properly - it's too big. As a result you have activated trigger points in your muscles. The longer you go without being treated the worse the pain becomes and you develop associated trigger points, hence the pain that spreads.

jadar12, wrote on Sep 10, 2009 that she was helped with massage therapy. Trust me - she is on the right track. There is nothing that is going to help you as much as a good deep massage and stretching that targets the hamstring muscles for a start.

But first and foremost you must stop aggravating your condition by becoming aware of your posture when you sit and find a chair that fits you properly. If you can not slide your hand under your leg when you are sitting on a chair and your feet dangle you are setting yourself up for big painful problems.

When sitting your feet should be flat on the floor and your knees slightly higher that your hips and your pelvis should have a slight anterior tilt which forces your spine into alignment. The chair ought not be digging into the back of your legs. Ouch!

SillyDee
May 24
I think you solved my issue, and I am sure it is the desk chair I am sitting in and how I sit in it! I am sitting on the edge of the chair, and so the hard edge is digging into my hamstring. Not only does it hurt, but it causes water to retain in my leg because I am cutting off the circulation! Come to think of it, I never had a problem until I started using this chair. An this also is a tight hamstring on my right side. I am getting a different chair right away! sitting on the edge of it, and then pressing down on the ball of my foot with my heal raised up, and this also feels like it is contracting my right calf. What a mess! Thanks for posting about the chair!
The hamstring muscles are called the chair seat victims for good reason.

The three true hamstring muscles and the adductor magnus attach to the ischial tuberosity, the sit bones. The trick to effective treatment is to stretch the the adductor magnus muscle first. Stretch, moist heat and full range of motion. In that order. Pressure against resistance - postiometric relaxation - is another effective exercise to release tight hamstring muscles.

You can tell if your hamstrings are tight if you can't touch your toes, you limp when walking, it hurts to sit and you have trouble getting out of a seated position. Your sleep will be interrupted. Also, your lumbar curve may be flattened and your feet/foot may be pointed out (laterally rotated).

Sitting with your legs crossed, sleeping with a pillow under your knees, and bending forward with your legs straight aggravates your condition.

I use a sloped foot stool when sitting at the table and if I have to sit for an extended period of time I tilt the chair forward by placing hardcover books under the two back legs. It is best to have a padded seat that tilts forward. That way you sit up straight and the hard edge the chair is not digging in to the back of your legs.
mines a bit different.see,theres a sharp pain in my upper shoulder muscle which happens occasionaly.what wud it be
Believe it or not I have found the solution to the painful burning knots in the shoulders and back...A dose of Methylprednisolone steriods.  You feel better within 24 hours of starting the dose pack.  It is a miracle.
I need some help.  Eight days ago, when I got up in the morning.  I rolled my shoulders back while taking a deep breath.  I had a shooting pain in the middle of my shoulder blades  which wrapped around to my sternum.  Pretty intense pain I may add.  It went away and I thought everything was OK.  During the day, I noticed pain in the muscle group next to the spinal column.  Then I noticed pain under the left shoulder blade, and finally I noticed pain in the neck at the Adams Apple level.  ( I believe this is the left anterior scalene muscle based on what I have read here).  I have seen my chiropractor three time and the pain is still with me and getting worse.  Not able to sleep at night, hurts when sitting, burning sensation in the muscles.  I am fit and healthy 6' 185lbs.  I have slight pain when I take a breath in next to the thoracic vertebrae where this all started.  I have read and printed out your advice on Left Anterior Scalene Muscle trigger points, and Serratus Posterior Superior Muscle trigger point.  Is there anything I can to to reduce the pain in the large muscle group running up and down the side of the spinal column near especially in the thoracic area. ( Behind the heart)?  Where it the trigger point to reduce tightness in the muscle group.  This area also hurts when I bent my chin to my chest.  Thanks.  Jim
Apply ice. What happened nine days ago?
The trigger point may be under your shoulder blade.
Please read what I wrote on November 24, 2009 on how to treat an active trigger point in the serratus posterior superior muscle. The trick to exposing this trigger point is to move the shoulder blade aside (abduct) by reaching your arm across your body.

Another trick is to find the key trigger point. As you have experienced different muscles can be affected. If you can find the source it will eliminate all of your problems.

Roll around on tennis balls to find the spot. You'll know when you hit it because it will produce a pain that is highly sensitive. Let your body weight add the pressure.

Use heat to relax muscles and cold to relieve pain & inflammation.

Good luck!
Thank you for making the comment you are not fat - I am either and have the same problem.  I thought the insensitive comment the other "poster" made was inappropriate.  I am 5'3 and 100 lbs. and have terrible upper back issues caused by whiplash but the same symptoms as you all seem to have.  I have found the shoulder exercises make it worse.  I am willing to try these exercises I have read about.   The dr. I have been seeing has helped my neck but then the upper back issue flared up.  The day after my appt. last week, I felt as though a mack truck hit me.  Very difficult to lift or pull on anything.  Need a sure-fire exercise that will help this fast!  Anyone!?
I'm sorry. but there is no sure-fire exercise that is going to help you - you have already discovered that exercise makes it worse. You have an injury that needs time to heal. I recommend you use ice, moist heat, anti-inflammatories and rest.

Please take it easy.
i've been having this pain in my left shoulder pain for a couple weeks now...i dont play sports or do anything to wreck it , but i tried taking tylenol and putting ice on it , and even heat! i just want this severe pain to go away..but nothings been helping it , whats best to get rid of this pain i feel like sh*t .
I am a 50 year old male that has Marfan Syndrome and scoliosis. I suffered an emergency descending and ascending aortic dissection on 3/2/1998. The aortic valve and arch were replaced with a St. Jude valve and graft. I take blood thinners and beta blockers. I am 6'7" tall and 220 lb.

I have severe pain in my left shoulder as described in your posts (not a dissection but nearly as painful). I spend many hours a day working on my computer. I built a custom office that is kitchen counter height and I sit in a drafting chair that adjusts. My feet rest on the chair's footrest rather than the floor, out of habit.  My left arm rests on the counter while my right hand operates a mouse. I believe that my posture is in a stoop as I sit over the keyboard.

I get excruciating pain in my left shoulder  (deep behind the blade, near the spine) that is a hot pain radiating down my arm. It is unbearable. I am not allowed to take NSAIDs due to my anticoagulant therapy. I have been taking 10mg Vicodin 3 times a day for years for pain. I need to rest on a heating pad several times a day as this helps alleviate the pain somewhat. I also sleep on the heating pad at night.

Do you have any suggestions for me with my special circumstances? Particularly exercises that may relax the muscle or strengthen the muscels.
Dear elfsysop,

I learned about Marfan Syndrome may years ago and I never forgot about it and I think of it often. I'm sorry - it can't be easy.

Since you're in pain and you spend many hours a day working at the computer I think you would benefit the most from hiring an ergonomist. Incorrect posture - stooping forward and I suspect you're holding your left shoulder up to your ear for extended periods of time -  is what is most likely causing your pain.

Equally important, if you do not already know this, is to learn how to coordinate your breathing. Your abdomen and chest should elevate when you breath in as opposed to paradoxical breathing where you suck in your gut when you take in a deep breath.

Using moist heat is helpful when it comes to relaxing your muscles and so is lying on tennis balls.

elfsysop, I do not mean to minimize the importance of exercise and strength training, but I think your focus should be on prevention. Even the strongest and most fit amongst us suffer when hunched over the computer for hours.

Please take heed.
The scapular is a small religious object worn by Catholics and tied to a particular devotion. The scapula is the shoulder blade. Before you decide to insult everyone who posts and give them pathetic advice, get your nouns right *******.
I am neither fat nor weak, however I have a 36H bra size so it puts an enormous strain on my back. It's rude for you to be so insensitive and make assumptions when you know absolutely nothing about the people who post here. If you love the gym so much, go preach your sermon to all the gym-fiends there, they'll love you for it. Don't do it here.

I have pain in my shoulder muscles at the back an the trigger point is just below the shoulder blades on both the sides. It started almost 4-5 yrs back but now its continuous and if i press those points below the shoulder blades i know thats the point which is paining the most and i feel relaxed also then. I went for a check couple of days back and doctors suggested some bone test and blood test to check for osteoporosis. Now before i really go for these tests i wanted to be doubly sure of its symptoms. If its really wat the doc has diagnosed.
I read many posts but not all... I need to go to bed. :)

I KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING THIS PAIN! (at least mine) The answer came after 2 years, MRI w contrast, and MRI without contrast, a physical therapist muscle relaxers...

I noticed a pain almost under left shoulder blade / middle of back. It was dull on good days and sharp on bad days. I noticed that when I would rotate my shoulder I would hear a 'click' and I realized there was a correlation between the loudness of the click to how much pain I was having. Doctors told me it was a pulled muscle... I knew this was not it as muscles do not click and a pulled muscle after TWO years? Muscle relaxers and anti inflammatory meds did nothing. I still listened to the physical therapist and rotated my arm lots for exorcise. Long story short, I went to a ortho specialist, and he told me after 1 xray he knew exactly what it was and that was the easy part. The hard part he said, was fixing it.

I have SCRAPING SCAPULA SYNDROME which is where the muscle under my should joint is small....or in my case, about gone. And the sound I hear is the shoulder blade scraping the back of my ribs, the 'therapy' the others had
me doing was doing DAMAGE.  The muscle is deteriorated and so sits lower in the socket, throwing everything off. Learn how to strengthen that muscle slowly. I lay on the floor and use a soup can to lift.  You can look up more on SSS. It still hurts so bad. It's an injury often found with pitchers and rock climbers (which I am... Well WAS). It's been 4 years $ 2,000 out of pocket in insured med expenses, and still a battle (I'm 30 yr old female and busty which does not help the situation).

But at least the dr helped me discover and avoid some triggers. I also live with my heating pad. (make sure you get one that turns off automatically after 30 min. Or so. I have been burned by a cheap heating pad) I also take many hot baths and will be getting a hot tub. Best of luck everyone. It's an uphill battle.

My way of lessening the pain
Heating pad, hot baths, light and SPECIFIC strengthening exorcises, shoulders pulled up and back aka better posture,,, don't slouch and watch the computer/phone/iPad usage. Too much looking down in not good, lidocaine patches, do not sleep on your side but preferably your back and sit with your back right up against chairs and car seats.
AHHHH this is EXACTLY what has been happening to me. In fact, in the shower this morning, I nearly vomited from the pain when I reached up to wash my hair, which I was able to do perfectly normally and pain free yesterday morning. What the.... well, by the time I got to work, which was very late, I blamed myself for sleeping wrong and picking up my son who is three in a funny way, etc. I could literally not tolerate the pain anymore. I have a pretty good pain tolerance. I too carried a backpack all through school, am a hiker, runner, am athletic, etc. I am 34 now, though, I have had these random pains for like seven years. It is EXCRUCIATING. Now that I am old though, I have time, money, and good insurance to figure this crap out. So, long story short, I was diagnosed today with Scoliosis. Apparently I have had this since I was a child. It is "mild." It does not feel MILD, of course. So... what this pain is, is the spine shifting causing stress on the muscles which either tear or fight back against the spine bones (forgive my lack of proper terms, I am exceptionally new to this), causing inflammation of the muscles, which pinches the select nerves in that region where my spine is affected by the scoliosis. Those nerves happen to run down my arm into my four fingers (the thumb is not really affected). I play the guitar. My hand is still primarily numb/tingly. I am souped up on major meds and I am still in very bad pain. I am pissed about this "late" diagnosis but glad that it took me 34 years to suffer this badly. So, the pain originates from a molten hot knot right below my left chicken wing/shoulder blade. This is the epicenter of hell. It then radiates pain waves in a radius about the size of a large drinking cup. My triceps muscle on my left arm feels like someone is ripping the muscle from the bone like deboning a cooked turkey looks like. There are no injuries to my arm or back, just this kind of neurological, intense, ghost pain. The doctor said it should take approx. 7 days for this episode to subside, but it is mainly because I have the steroid and muscle relaxers. Otherwise it could intensify first, take a much longer time, and cause more permanant damage. When this "episode" subsides I am going to see an osteopathic spine specialist to evaluate my remaining options. I do not want this to occur again. It has been debilitating. I work a lot, enjoy work, am necessary to my work, and can't even think straight in the kind of pain fog that I experienced today. See a specialist. You need muscle relaxers to stop the spasms and allow the knot to chill out. I am so sorry you also have this horrible pain. Mine feels like someone stabbed me with a molten-hot railroad spike. Good luck to you.
Your case is classic to anyone who is familiar with trigger point therapy. What you are experiencing is an activated trigger point in your latissimus dorsi muscle which in turn has activated satellite trigger points in the triceps brachii and the flexor carpi ulnaris muscles.  These muscles are in the same pain reference zone.  What you need is a masseuse/masseur who is knowledgeable in trigger point therapy.
I think your right. I have had the pain in my right shoulder blade for 9 months. Chiropractor helped some and now my right trap is sore to massage. My posture is bad and I want to work on this for a while now. When I massage my trap I do feel the muscle tense up on my back and now sometimes all the way to my butt. Will check out these books thanks. Anything else you can think of please let me know. Thanks.
you may have something called snapping scapula syndrome. I suffer the exact same symptoms and that was my ultimate diagnosis. There is no cure. Steroid or nerve root block injections may help for a time. NSAIDS and muscle relaxers may lessen the pain a bit. Pain meds have not worked for me, not even opiates. They may also try seizure medications.
Hi, my boyfriend and I worked out at planet fitness with friends. His neck was a bit sore from sleeping on it wrong the night before. The gym had massage chairs and after the workout we used them. I stayed on for about 3 minutes and had it low intensity. My boyfriend, Chris used it for five minutes on high intensity. He then began having pain on the right side of his left scapula. I put some tiger balm on it and gave him ibuprofen in case of inflammation. It's the next day and he can't really move because of so much pain. We know it was from the massage chair, but I'm wondering what can we do to treat it. Please help.
hi,
I've just been reading some of the posts below and can relate to the pain others have listed.
I have been experiencing pain in my left shoulder blade which travels through to my left armpit. At the moment i am experience sharp needle like pain in my chest area just below my left clavicle.
could you please recommend some exercises to ease the pain.
I too have had this pain.  It started in my neck and then radiated down my left side through and under my shoulder blade.  It progressed to my shoulder and sent shooting pains down my left arm.  It felt like several knives stabbed into my back with one going completely though my back into my chest.  The pain then went from just stabbing pain to pain like liquid fire through my left side down to my waist, under my arm and into my left breast.  I went to my orthopedic doctor who did x-rays and said that it was coming from nerve damage caused from two herniated discs in my neck. My general physician decided to do a mammogram to check to see if I had breast cancer or cysts in my breast.  I am waiting on the results.  I do not believe that is the problem.  I am a bookkeeper and am in such debilitating pain from this that I sit in my office with tears streaming down my face unable to use my left arm.  I am so afraid that I will lose my job.  The pain is so severe that I sometimes throw up which makes it worse.  My orthopedic doctor put me on Percocet at first.  This did NOTHING for the pain.  He then added nerve blocking medication used to treat nerve  pain and this helped block some of the pain but it makes me so dizzy and sleepy that I can only take it at night.  After this did not work he referred me to pain management.  I am still waiting for my first appointment.  I want to KNOW what this is, what is causing it and how to fix it!  I don't want a band aid.  I need help!
I was laying in bed just now and I had a pain below or under my left shoulder blade. When I tried to sit up, the pain shot down my left side. This continued every time I attempted to sit up. I ended up just laying there until it went away which was about 5 minutes. Even after I was able to finally sit up the pain is still there a little around my left shoulder blade. This happens rarely to me but it has happened a couple times before. Any ideas?
Viewing 201-253 comments: