Back & Neck Community
Left side shoulder / neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Left side shoulder / neck pain

Hi..  I have neck/shoulder pain on my left side.. The pain becomes more when I push my chin on to my neck.. I have had several tests done, including several tests check if he heart is causing th pain - with doctors ruling out that being the cause..  
Inhale also had CT and MRI scans done, with no cashed found by specialist doctors..  I am still left with no answers.. 

I have now had the pain for over 2 years..

The pain still continues.. Some days the pain is very mild and other days I becomes very strong the pain is 
ranging from aches to sharp pain.. The area of pain is around my left neck down to my shoulder and chest 
area. When the pain is strong it lasts for several days..  I seems to be in a cycle of strong and mild.. With no set time..

Can you help.. 

DJ
I have a pain slightly lower down than yours, it goes from shoulderblade to shoulder to arm and down to forearm, with tingling in my hand.  xray showed "mild to moderate disc compression", which may or may not require surgery.   What part of your body did they do the CT and MRI on?  My Dr. started with an x-ray series of my *shoulder* - totally useless, as the problem originates with the spine.
Hi. .. Thanks for your reply ..

What's more annoying for me is th pain comes and goesin strengths. In cycles...
The CT/MRI was done in my upper spine.. And ultra sounds on my shoulder..no outcome..found..

Not sure what to do next !!!

DJ
It seems to me that what we see on tv and read about are very different from real life; I keep feeling like my Drs don't really care very much whether they ever figure out what's wrong.  If it's not a simple thing to diagnose, and the pain can be controlled with a pill, that's good enough for them.  I have to wonder if this isn't encouraged by the insurance companies.  

Has anyone ever checked to see if you might have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome?

Does ur MRI report hint at low lying cerebral tonsils?

Do u also get HA'S?..The reason I asked was bcuz of the cycle of pain u mentioned is so common for chiari malformation and it has been mis dx'd as TOS and many others .
Hi semaS

Sorry I m not familiar with the terms HA'S  TOS and chiari malformation.. Can you please explain..
I am very interested, as the pain cycle is unpredictable ..

The only thing MRI showed was a very slight disc movement.. According to the doctor it is of no concern and no action is needed.. And did not believe it was causing pain..

DJ

Sorry HA's = headaches

TOS= thoracic outlet syndrome

I have issues with my disks as a result of a connective tissue disorder and it can cause pain...Ehlers-danlos.*..

There r several types of EDS* so do not look at the typical symptoms or issues and think this is not me, do get it ruled out, as I never thought it could be me, and I was dx'd with it.