Back & Neck Community
Leg Numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Leg Numbness

I have had numbness in my left leg for the past 2 years. I recently had neck surgery (6 mons ago) for 2 severe herniated disks in my neck. The neurosurgeon said that I probably have the same thing going on in my lower spine (lumbar) and that I would need more surgery to correct it but they werent sure if I owuld get feeling back in my leg or not. Does anyone know what the long term effects are of leaving it this way? I have some mild back pain but I was having all that before, its really nothing unbearable. I just want to know if I am looking at paralysis of the leg or something severe like that years from now. I am 36 and the surgeon has already told me that I will most likley have to have my neck operated on again because I am young and still have lots of years to use this same neck thats already damaged as is the spinal cord. But they did what they could to fix everything and my upper is now fine, just achy at times. Im just really concerned about the leg at this point and just not sure why the surgeon isnt doing anything about it.
2 years is a very long time to have numbness in your leg and not have it evaluated.The longer you wait the better the chances of permanent nerve damage.
the surgeon is right. you should welcome second oeration. In case you are afraid of surgery and like to use medicines, try alternative medicine, as well as contact some physiotherapist.
Was your mri scan to identify the damaged discs in your neck only and not of the whole spine? Think mine was the whole spine,not sure tho'. Does the numbness come and go or is it always there? not getting any better or any worse?
Like with all spinal issues ,surgery is the last option and conservative treatments always to be considered first.It would seem that you have a trapped sciatic nerve to give you numbness in your leg (not a doctor) but if it is not associated with pain I would try physiotherapy and back exercises (pilates,yoga within your own limits) etc and be thankful that it isn't causing you too many problems. Of course if your problem does become worse go to your Doctor. If it is any help I have numb areas in my leg and totally numb toes for 7 years now. Apart from not being able to wear massively high heels and not being able to run without a strange gait (my toes involentarily curl under when I run) I don't have any problems. My consultant as advised me that the feeling will probably not come back after this time (microdiscectomy 7 yrs ago) but he did not seem too concerned either. Take care
I am currently seeing my neurosurgeon that did my neck surgery and he is aware of my leg problems, as is my neurologist. but they seem hesitant to send me for another MRI on my lumbar spine. I have another appt with the surgeon next Friday and hope to get some answers out of him. Let me explain the numbness. My leg staretd feeling "prickly and sensitive" over 2 years ago and over time, it got to the point where it was just numb. I dont mean numb like I cant feel anything. I can feel being touched, but I have no sensation of heat/cold or wet/dry. I can feel things in the deep tissue such as burns, as I have found out the hard way. I just wanted to know the long term effects of not doing anything about this. It has been steady this way for at least the last 2 years with no change at all, its really a quality of life for me at this point. I would welcome surgery if I knew it would fix the problem or if I even had a chance at having it fixed. Long periods of sitting seem to make it worse and when I first start to walk on it I tend to limp on ity because I have no feeling in it. I also have plantar faschitis in both of my feet, which I can no longer feel in the left foot. Would love to find a shoe that doesnt make my feet hurt when walking long distances, but that hasnt happened yet either. Thanks to everyone for your reponses and support.
Check out piriformis syndrome (PS) with relation to your leg numbness, it might not be that as there would normally be some pain at the point of the piriformis muscle, towards the top of the bum. you tube and/or google it tho', PS is also worse with sitting, a problem u have described, so u never know. Shoes, not that u can wear them for every occassion but i love fit flops. you can get the usual flip flop kind in all sorts of colours but also boots and a slipper-y kind of clog. wish they would do a normal shoe too, I love them. have MBT's as well but fit flops are the best.