Back & Neck Community
Life after Laminectomy and Discectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Life after Laminectomy and Discectomy

My wife (33 years) was diagnosed with a herniated disk as well as root nerve compression on L5-S1. We tried conventional therapy (NSAIDs as well as steroids- Medrol) but there was no improvement. At last open laminectomy was performed in Jan2008. Immediately after surgery the pain in the legs was gone and she felt a lot relieved. Her left leg (the one which was effected due to Sciatica) was numb but as per the doctor this was something expected. It is now almost 3 months - but the numbness continues. There is no pain at the back but the numbness is not improving. She has been on a medicine (a combination of Gabapentin&Methylcobalmin) since her surgery in Jan. As per the doctor this is a nerve tonic and would help regenerate her nerves.

Is there anyone else who has been through a similar surgery? If yes - what was the maintenance drug prescribed and for how long? How long would it take for my wife to get back to normal?

Please help !!
I h ave recently undergone the same surgical proceedure as you wife and I am experiencing exactly the same leg numbness and buttock pain still, which inables me to sleep at night.  The only thing that I was subscribed were anti inflammatury drugs and pain killers!!  I live in hope that this wont last long but who knows.  Once you have had your op no-one seems to care about you!!  Good luck to your wife.  If you find a miracle cure mail me plez.
Hi! Three years ago, I had foot drop in my left leg and almost lost control of bladder.... got surgery done where 80% of L4L5 and 60% of L5S1 were removed. I still have numbness in certain parts of my left leg. Even today I have 'bad' days when I get nerve pain in both legs. Of course, the pain before the operation was much worse and consistent. I take Gabantin and Methocobol as and when really in need. I am also trying yoga, and homeopathic treatment which is keeping me well. Of course, my life is not the same as before all this started. :)
Best wishes to your wife...
B
Hi am exactly the same, had two lower lumber discetomy in a year still got numbness in my foot/ankle/leg, five months after second operation.  Had cramps in foot when walking and still a lot of nerve pain.  Am on Amitriptiline, co-codeine and Diclofenic,, good days and bad days,  wish you luck....
hi there i had pretty much the same op 4 weeks ago l45 l5s laminectomy and discectomy i have no feeling in either of my buttocks, the back of my legs or the soles of my feet i have only been given co codomol and physio but my bad days mean i cannot attend  i have been given crutches as my right leg continues to collapse on me  and still have pain in my back
I had the same surgery on l5-s1 one week ago. prior surgery i could not hardly walk the pain was so bad in my right leg. immediately after surgery I had alot of relief from pain in my leg but my leg aches now(worse at night) and i have numbness and needle like pains in my foot. hope you get better. I am wondering I have done factory work all my life, Im only thirty. Will i be able to work again. I have alot of back pain, but I am hopeful it will go away when I heal. If anyone has any advice or imformation about what I should expect, I would appreciate it .
I also had the same surgery. Since we had pressure hitting our nerve the nerve more than likely got damaged. I was told the nerve heals at 1 cm a month. So, if the pain you were having went all the way to your foot, it is going to take a long time for everything to get back to normal.
Tracy.......You should be able to go back to work. I was told at first I would be back to work in 6 weeks. It did take a little longer than that though. Since you have back issues always do the exercises that your physical therapist recommended. Treat them as you do your teeth! Do them at least twice a day. Also be sure to always be aware on how  you bend when picking things up. I'm only 33 so we are close to the same age. We want to make sure our backs hold up for another 50 years or so! Best of luck and keep me posted on your progress!
Brian